New 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I got my 75 gallon set up tonight, no plants or fish yet, had to use cold water to by pass a water softener that's in my new place, have to let the tank warm up.I plan on using a 40 gallon drum with a heater in it for future water changes, no time to set it up.
I'm running two fluval 305's, 4 x65 wts CF lighting so far. I wanted
to do some hardscape but won't have time to look at driftwood or rocks, moving Thurs, still have five other tanks to move and set up. I have 60 pounds of turface mvp in here, 2" at the front, 6" at the back, I like a sloped substrate. It is cool having a bigger tank to play with, so many options!
I won't be around for a bit as my computer is getting disconnected tommorow, should be back online by next week. Next time you see this tank it will be planted and stocked with fish. Thanks all for the inspiration to get this new tank happening, thanks Wiz for the turface :)

Attachments

• picture_1361_556.jpg
    picture_1361_556.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 102
  • picture_1360_601.jpg
    picture_1360_601.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 116
i can't wait to see what you can do with this tank... i'm sure it will be amazing... looks better than all my tanks combined as is, even if the water is a little cloudy, and doesnt have any plants. LOL

BTW, nice hardwood flooring :p

You can contact the manufacturer directly and they will let you know where the nearest store is that carries it. Check out the substrate link the the Read this First sticky. Towards the end you'll find a link to the manufacturer's website in my review of Turface.

Glenc said:
had to use cold water to by pass a water softener that's in my new place,

You may want to do look at using potassium chloride in your water softener (if you decide to keep it). When I used KCl in my landlord's softener it worked out so that the "warm" water was only softened a little and added 25ppm of potassium at every water change.

This was based on my particular tap water temperatures and water hardness so you would want to do some research if you go this route.

Congrats on the new tank and new place.

Turface rules! Very high CEC. My friend Donna (the cover girl on this year's AA calendar) uses it exclusively and grows some of the most amazing plants I've ever seen. Can't wait to see what you do with it Glen. Only drawback I've noticed is that it is a bit light and floaty, but plants simply love it. I'll be watching this thread.

We've also noticed it carries a very low PH. drove my PH 7 water down to 6.3. Glen's 7.9 PH to 7.3-4 after 1 day.

Still impressed with how little it takes.. Look forward to seeing what you can do with it Glen.

Hello all, finally got back on line after the move, missed you guys! The 75 is looking good so far, going to get a few more plants in tommorow. Got a mix of stuff in it at the moment, trying to see what grows and what won't. Love the turface so far, it is light but holds the plants well. As Wizzard said it drops your ph, mine leveled off at 7.3 from 7.9 after a week. Here are a few shots of the 75, one of the 20 and 75 side by side. It is very cool to play in a big tank, getting the dosing down and learning my way around. I wanted to do some hardscape, just didn't have the time. Still thinking on it. As far as fish, it has 10 Harlaquin rasboras, 15 neons and 15 glow light tetras. Four sae's and 6 ottos. going to get some yo yo loaches in as well for snail control. Get you guys some more shots of my tank room tommorow, got four tanks set up so far, two high light, dosed C02 injected, two med-low light no C02 or ferts. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm having a blast!

Thanks for the softener info hashbaz, so far I've managed to talk my wife into not connecting it, don't know how much longer I can hold her off!

Attachments

• picture_1369_517.jpg
    picture_1369_517.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 68
  • picture_1370_554.jpg
    picture_1370_554.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 55
  • picture_1373_110.jpg
    picture_1373_110.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 83
Way to go Glen, 75's are simply great for planting. Just a word of caution though...you will be tempted to jam so many plants in there it will not be funny. Take it easy. :wink:

Just a word of caution though...you will be tempted to jam so many plants in there it will not be funny.

Hahahha, you know it's gonna happen :) but it gives you a good idea of what will grow and what won't so you can thin it out a bit later.

Glen, Lookin good. Like I said in Email, Give the Alt a bit of time. it might come around..

It looks like you're off to an excellent start in your new place Glen :) I like the color contrast between the two tanks. Well done.

Thanks all, I just got back from BA, got some L glandulosa, L repens rubin and a couple of crypt Wendetii "green' from tropica. Going to do a 50% water change tonight, also got a background and a surface skimmer to keep the surface clean.(thanks for the tip on the skimmer Wiz) had to get out of there before I bought every plant in site! No doubt I'll be planting a ton of stuff in here, lots of room, for now! :)

Hey 7Enigma, that guitar is a Larrivee L-05, made in Vancouver. First time in a long time I've been able to hang it up, got two small boys, my wife also does home daycare. Also have an 80 Gibson Les paul standard, it's hanging in the other room as well. Now that I have a bit of space to myself I might actually start to play them again, but then again, with all these tanks on the go, who's got time for guitar! I'll post some more shots of the tanks and the other room as well, still getting things moved around and set up.
:)

Back
Top Bottom