New 90g plant recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have just recently set up my new 90g planted tank last night. I have 120lbs of Eco complete with 30lbs of seachems flourite mixed into the middle. I have a aquaclear70 transferred from my 29g and a new sunsun 303b. I have a 150w cascade heater transfered from my 29g and a new 200w jäger trutemp. I have a nano Hydor 425 power head but idk if I should add it yet or wait to add more plants the question I have is, all the plants I transfered from my 29g barely made a dent. I want you all to recommend some plants that you think I should get for my tank.
img_2028816_0_fdffc5a1e3b1d847ecd7c688f7aef5ba.jpg

I am going to be ordering some plants pretty soon so let me know cause I'm trying to at least fill some of it up pretty soon..... And should I add any kind of liquid ferts from the beginning or wait and see how it plays out

Come on people nothing?? It seems like I don't ever get any answers on here lol

Come on people nothing?? It seems like I don't ever get any answers on here lol

It would be a big help if you mention your lighting, as that'll dicate what members will recommend. Also help if you list the plants you have ... Even though you provided a good pic... Some members may not be able to tell.

IMO, some large amazon swords will help fill out the back of the tank ...

I have a three bulb Catalina aquarium with 54w bulbs all 6500k. I can turn one, two, or three bulbs on at a time.
My plant list is
Crypt Wendtii 'red' x3
Crypt Wendtii 'Florida sunset' x3
Crypt parva
Anubius nana x2
Banana plant
Some kind of stem plant (3 stems), if I figure out the name I'll list it
Flame moss
Java ferns
Windelov ferns
Grandifolious sword
Ozelot sword 'red'
Tiger lotus 'red'
Dwarf sag x3
And stourogyne Repens

With that list, one would think your tank should look like a jungle! But as you said, you went from a 29 gal to a 90 gal. Aside from just waiting for them to grow and fill-out, I'm wondering if anarcharis, hornwort, cabomba and water sprite would help fill out the space in the short term.

Btw... I'd say there's nothing wrong with dosing both liquid ferts and root tabs for your heavy root feeders like swords.

I have some ludwigia broad leaf I believe it is get 2-3 bunches of those! Also I agree big amazon sword 2 big ones on either side or in the middle. Aquatic critter has some nice ones right now.

How much for the ludwigia cause I was really thinking Bout getting some of that after I seen it in a tank on you tube.... Is it the red kind

I also need to know how to put together and find a cheap co2 kit cause I want to run it eventually... Would three bulbs running be to much without co2

I have a both a 90 gallon and a Catalina 4 bulb fixture (I usually only run 3 bulbs)! I would suggest co2 with 3 bulbs on, I would also suggest dosing some fertilizers.
If you want to avoid co2 then I would recommend only running 2 bulbs on your fixture. Now I am not saying if you run 3 bulbs without co2, then your tank will explode; I am saying if you run 3 bulbs without co2 you are very likely to grow a lot of algae.
One of your posts asked for some cheep co2 systems if you are interested I would be more than happy to help you.

In my tank I have (in case you want more ideas)
Java Fern
Green cabamba
Orchid Lily (Barclaya longifolia)
Anubias
Black Amazon Sword (Echinodorus parviflorus)
Rice Paddy Herb (Limnophila Aromatica)
And 2 others that I just can't think of the name...

fishfanatic said:
I have a both a 90 gallon and a Catalina 4 bulb fixture (I usually only run 3 bulbs)! I would suggest co2 with 3 bulbs on, I would also suggest dosing some fertilizers.
If you want to avoid co2 then I would recommend only running 2 bulbs on your fixture. Now I am not saying if you run 3 bulbs without co2, then your tank will explode; I am saying if you run 3 bulbs without co2 you are very likely to grow a lot of algae.
One of your posts asked for some cheep co2 systems if you are interested I would be more than happy to help you.

In my tank I have (in case you want more ideas)
Java Fern
Green cabamba
Orchid Lily (Barclaya longifolia)
Anubias
Black Amazon Sword (Echinodorus parviflorus)
Rice Paddy Herb (Limnophila Aromatica)
And 2 others that I just can't think of the name...

I have a similar set up with 90 gal 3x54w 6500k bulbs. I just added plants last week. I am adding EXCEL daily (7ml). I fertilize twice a week. Lights are on for 11 hours a day. What I need to figure out is the right balance between lights, excel and ferts. So far I've got some browning leaves on my swords but everything else looks good though it is early.

Right now I've just been running 2 bulbs instead of all 3. I dosed some excel, flourish, iron, and potassium today before work. Idk if I needed all that but I dosed it lol. The excel said dose a cap for every 10g on initial dose but I only dosed 5, it just seemed like 9 was to many

Back
Top Bottom