New Amano shrimp and Orchid lily

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishfanatic said:
The reason I have the 5000k is because they have lots of red, the leds don't have a lot of red but they have a lot of blue. So I guess I thought it would balance it out?

The blue lights are for reefs, right? It won't benefit the plants. 5,000K is not great for plants. Also the blue light. So, I don't see why mixing both will make it great for plants. When you mixed the lights, were you thinking of how the lights will look like like or if it will be good for your plants?

I thought that plants needed blue and red to photosynthesize? That is what I based my light choice on.

fishfanatic said:
I thought that plants needed blue and red to photosynthesize? That is what I based my light choice on.

My lights are 6,700Ks(yellowish) and 10,000Ks(almost white). Now I'm thinking the reason your orchid lily is not doing good is because of your lighting. You probably have low light. I would change the bulbs. I noticed that the higher the Kelvin the whiter or lighter the light is. Some aquarist prefer 10,000K bulbs because of the white light it produces and still beneficial for the plants. I choose to get between 6,700-10,000K.

Just a note I just got that orchid lily in the mail today. And even my dwarf baby tears Pearl. Do you really think it is low light? I am not an expert but plant Pearl when they photosynthesize at a very fast rate (lots of light= lots of photosynthesis)

Last edited:
Sorry it sounds like I am arguing with you. I am not meaning to sound that way. I am mad that the Guy at the lfs (whom I trust very much) lead me a stray.

Who knows. Don't go spending too much money just yet. Wait for it: if the plants die, just get more and a new light or just go for less demanding plants. If they thrive, then that's good and you saved some cash on a big fixture. Don't count your chickens before you hatch. IMO killing plants isn't nearly as bad as killing fish.

Crepe said:
Who knows. Don't go spending too much money just yet. Wait for it: if the plants die, just get more and a new light or just go for less demanding plants. If they thrive, then that's good and you saved some cash on a big fixture. Don't count your chickens before you hatch. IMO killing plants isn't nearly as bad as killing fish.

I agree it is not near as bad to lose a plant as a fish. The only thing is I didn't go the cheep rout on my tank (I have 550$ worth of light on the tank) gerr! I could have bought a pretty kick A light for that price. That is what I get for not coming to AA sooner.

Last edited:
If the plants don't do well, what fixture would you recommend (I am NOT trusting the LFS)

I already have pressurized co2 and I dose with pps pro and root tabs. I think I would want to go with high light. Or maybe the upper end of medium just to give me the most options for plants.

Last edited:
I think you're at medium light right now. If you want to make sure, replace the LED fixture with another single strip 39W T5HO lamp (you can get single strip fixture for like 30 dollars at hydroponics stores). High light is two more bulbs (You MUST have co2 and good fertilization for this much light).

Would a 30$ T5HO light come with a reflector? And if I were to get a duel T5HO (high LIGHT) would I fry my plants, such as java ferns? How much would a good duel T5HO cost?

The single strip lamps may or may not come with a reflector. The brand I've seen at the local hydroponics store does. It's just a bent aluminum sheet. I wouldn't worry about frying your plants. It's just when you don't fertilize and add CO2 that causes problems.

Not sure I can name a price off the top of my head but fishneedit have very economical options for lighting. Also, local hydroponics stores will carry lamps with high quality MIRO reflectors for a competitive price as well.

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you as quickly as I wanted to. Something came up. Looks like crepe got this. Agree with him with what he said^^

If my current light set up does not work then I will resort to that. I am going to order some lifeGlo bulbs to replace the 5000k ones. The lifeGlo are 6700K and I think this will help. (I just replaced my bulbs last month :(

I think 5k is fine...don't really see an issue there. The kelvin rating is just a description as to what we probably see - color rendering wise. It doesn't describe the spectral spikes. If you have 10k which has a spike in blue and 5k with a spike in red you should be fine. Just FYI I use one 6700k and one 5000k bulb with great results...I use a hagen life glo and a geismann midday.

edit: sorry the midday is a 6000k bulb. But you get my point. As long as the light is there it's fine.

Last edited:
Yes MH work but you'll need to place them 2-3' above the tank. IMO it's not necessary to have so much light. You also have to realize you're going to have to:

1.) Get a light. That first 4 bulb 3 foot fixture will give you high light. Two bulbs is medium which I think you already have....
2.) Get CO2. Which is about 100-500+ depending on what you're willing to spend
3.) Get ferts which is ~ 30 dollars to order a full set.

Optional:
Get a new substrate
Get more plants (suggested to prevent algae)

I like to save money so I'd just buy another two bulb fixture. BUT for aesthetic reasons I'd probably get just the 4 bulb fixture. It's up to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom