New Asian style planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been in the aquarium hobby for 6 years and this is the first time I have ever had a planted tank so I have some questions. For the lighting I was wondering if I can use a reptile tropical UVB bulb instead of going out and buying a new bulb. So far the only plants I have in it are 3 Marino moss balls and 2 sticks of bamboo. I have more questions but I don't want to make this comment really big. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390874677.759350.jpg

I am not familiar with what is used for light on reptiles but if the bulb is a true UV frequency, it is totally unsuitable for light that is usable by plants. The total usable frequency for plants is from 5000K to 10,000K with 5500 to 6700K being the most popular. OS.

My fish consist of I Betta and 2 Oto catfish. I'll post a photo of the box for the bulb but I probably need a fluorescent right?

Is it the repti glo 5.0 or whatever? I use 2 over my dart frog vivarium and they grow plants well.

That's just the larger bulb than what I have. Btw do you live in Europe because our boxes look different and there the same brand?

A bromeliad, different mosses, I'm a bunch of others I forget, some type of ficus I think lol.

I have to say this is the most inexpensive tank I have ever set up. The tank only cost me $10 and I found the light in my basement and I already had the filter. I was thinking of upgrading the filter but all the filters I have that I try are all to strong for my Betta. Does anyone know of a good small filter I can put in my Betta's tank that's better than the one I have now. Right now I have a Cascade 170. I don't like it because It only has a sponge to trap particles and nothing for biological bacteria.

OK it's not a pure UV light. It's just a naming thing. OS.

How did you figure that out? I know it has some UVB because I once used it on my turtle tank but than I bought the stronger bulb. Btw do you know a good internal filter for my tank?

I have a bulb for a reptile tank (came with the fixture) tha is designed tp generate heat. I assumed that the bulb you had was the same. I was going to say the same as Goldfish loach boy, but Old scales seems to have cleared that up.

Back
Top Bottom