New build! 120g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdemler68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!!! Starting up a new 120 gallon planted tank!!! Just set it up so here are the first pictures taken!! Feel free to give me any advise or ask any questions you would like to know!! I will be posting as I go along! IMG_7723.jpgIMG_7724.jpgIMG_7725.jpgIMG_7726.jpgIMG_7727.jpg

I think the combination of large stones and plants is a great idea with so much potential.
When dealing with XL hardscape materials it's doublely important not to be too symmetrical in the design. IMO Hardscapes look the best when they more closely mimic nature's perfect imperfection. Achieving that goal often times is not an easy task. I also have a 120 gal. With a lot of big rocks. I have yet to be satisfied with my hardscape and routinely rearrange it. Lol.
Looks like you are off to a good start. Good luck.

I like it !
I am interested in your sub also ..Is it lava rock as base with cap?
It is pretty deep in some spots ..
Yes to big rocks !

Yes it is a lava rock base with black gravel as the top layer!! I’ve added java fern, windolov, and s repens around the base of the rocks. So far it looks good!! Any advice on some medium/easier red plants and where to buy them?? I want to mix some red with the green!

Yes it is a lava rock base with black gravel as the top layer!! I’ve added java fern, windolov, and s repens around the base of the rocks. So far it looks good!! Any advice on some medium/easier red plants and where to buy them?? I want to mix some red with the green!

Depends on the bulbs you have in there ;)

Ludwigias and rotalas are some easier + fairly red stem plants.

Red melon sword and various crypts will go slightly red - brown - magenta.

I’m planning on the fluval 3.0 if that helps! I have two 65 watt full spec bulbs on it rn for temporary light. I have crypts for sale near me and was tempted, are they hardy plants for a new tank!? Should I snag em?

I’m planning on the fluval 3.0 if that helps! I have two 65 watt full spec bulbs on it rn for temporary light. I have crypts for sale near me and was tempted, are they hardy plants for a new tank!? Should I snag em?

yea, crypts are hardy as they come. Give them lots of root tabs and watch em grow. Big crypts, little crypts, red - brown - green - various leaf shapes, you can never go wrong with crypts... high tech, low tech... back ground, forground there is no wrong place for crypts ;)

Should I dose lots of iron for the red or will they be okay for a while without it?

Should I dose lots of iron for the red or will they be okay for a while without it?

You will need to dose all nutrients required by plants, if one is missing the plant will not look its best. Iron is not directly linked to the red colour, but it is certainly a nutrient plants need.

Red plants are mostly driven by light. The more intense the light is, the more red the plants will be as a natural adaptation to such light. But, certain spectrum will show different colours from the plants to out eyes, there is no "one shoe fits all" for growing red plants.

Hey everyone!! Here is an updated pic of my 120 gallon! Let me know what you think IMG_7784.jpg

Little bit of algae I know hahahahaha but it’s slowly going away as I’m fixing my dosing of ferts

It’s a fluval 3.0 set for 10 hours a day

Reduce that to 6 hours with the light turned down to 75%, larger water changes, manual removal, crank the CO2 up (if you have it) dose Excel / Metricide, remove all organics and clean the filters irregularly. That should tilt the algae battle in your favor for now. Make sure your fert dosing is adequate as well.

Let the plant mass build up and the can begin to increase the light again.

Oh, and maybe pick up some floating plants.

Reduce that to 6 hours with the light turned down to 75%, larger water changes, manual removal, crank the CO2 up (if you have it) dose Excel / Metricide, remove all organics and clean the filters irregularly. That should tilt the algae battle in your favor for now. Make sure your fert dosing is adequate as well.

Let the plant mass build up and the can begin to increase the light again.

Oh, and maybe pick up some floating plants.

^^ that's all really good advice! I think the hardscape is great, lots of potential here. Every tank gets ugly until you figure out just how it's going to work. They are all different, even when I literally duplicate the exact formula from tank to tank. Never stays that way...

Back
Top Bottom