new bulb (agian)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
my dad got me a 13w cfl its 2700k so now i have a 13wcfl and a 15w cfl at 2700 and 4100k ikno these arent optimal kelvin rateings but mfdrook made a good point in another thread and i need to make due with wht i got

looks okay to me...but I am not sure if the plants will be able to grow fast on those kelvins though...try it anyway...

daileene said:
looks okay to me...but I am not sure if the plants will be able to grow fast on those kelvins though...try it anyway...

thanks fast isnt a issue as long as they grow im happy

I don't think the kelvin ratings are cumulative. If they were, having 4x5000k bulbs in a freshwater planted tank would put you far outside the kelvin range you need and into reef or corals or something.

I think you are going to have trouble with that color of lighting... Somewhere between 6000-10000k is optimal. The algae will love it though ;)

Some kelvins are better than no kelvins? I don't think that is the point he was trying to make. The 4000k light may provide some usable light. The 2700k will probably be of almost no benefit to plants.

No, I pointed out in another thread that Tom Barr had reported using 2700k bulbs with great success... and that most 'aquarium and plant' bulbs are 2700/2800k... Didn't say that I had experience with it, just that I'd read that on Toms forum.

do you have a link to it rook? I am curious about what kind of bulbs, and how big a tank. I suppose 2700k would have some kind of PAR...

UPDATE: ok guys you say 2700k-4100k isnt enough it is my anacharis is gained color and new growth and marimo is regained color as well

:confused: i have those same cfl bulbs and they are 3500k together. is that enough for a ten gallon??? :confused:

they are 13 watt

Fishman13 said:
:confused: i have those same cfl bulbs and they are 3500k together. is that enough for a ten gallon??? :confused:

they are 13 watt

Your K factor doesn't multiply, only your watts do. Local Petco has a CFL made by ZooMed - 6700K, 10w, $10. Not bad for a screw in bulb IMO.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom