New Bulb For Old Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashbash15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am currently reestablishing a tall 20 gallon glass tank using my old Neptune heater, old hood that came with the tank, a new clear plastic top, and Fluval AquaClear 30 power filter with the bottom filled with flora max plant sub-straight. The old equipment is probably close to ten years old and has not been used in over five years. Using this old setup along with a brand new filter and substraight I thought I would try having live plants this time around. My plan is to get java moss on a dried cactus log, and a plant package including amazon sword, anacharis, creeping charlie, moneywort, hornwort and cryptocoryne. The old black plastic top broke that the hood sat on so now I have a new clear plastic one. My hope was that instead of buying a new hood or lighting system that I could just buy a bulb which produces 40 watts and place the hood on the glass cover. The inside of my hood says Oak Creek Products, 24" Fluorescent Aquarium Reflector, 120 volt 19 watt 60hz and the old bulb looks to be about 18". I was wondering, due to the fact that the hood said 19 watts if that might be the maximum amount it could support? Is it possible for this system, with a new bulb, to support and keep these particular plants healthy? If so what bulb would you suggest to work best? If not, what do you think would be the most cost effect route to go with this particular set up and plants?

I am currently reestablishing a tall 20 gallon glass tank using my old Neptune heater, old hood that came with the tank, a new clear plastic top, and Fluval AquaClear 30 power filter with the bottom filled with flora max plant sub-straight. The old equipment is probably close to ten years old and has not been used in over five years. Using this old setup along with a brand new filter and substraight I thought I would try having live plants this time around. My plan is to get java moss on a dried cactus log, and a plant package including amazon sword, anacharis, creeping charlie, moneywort, hornwort and cryptocoryne. The old black plastic top broke that the hood sat on so now I have a new clear plastic one. My hope was that instead of buying a new hood or lighting system that I could just buy a bulb which produces 40 watts and place the hood on the glass cover. The inside of my hood says Oak Creek Products, 24" Fluorescent Aquarium Reflector, 120 volt 19 watt 60hz and the old bulb looks to be about 18". I was wondering, due to the fact that the hood said 19 watts if that might be the maximum amount it could support? Is it possible for this system, with a new bulb, to support and keep these particular plants healthy? If so what bulb would you suggest to work best? If not, what do you think would be the most cost effect route to go with this particular set up and plants?

I'd go with 2 -13watt 6500k cfl bulbs in these http://i.imgur.com/XroZzaA.jpg
Cost efficient..

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom