New fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allanhep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Woop woop my albino kribnesis and kribnesis have produced babies only noticed their behaviour one in the cave other out swapping shifts evey minute or so which prompted a quick check looking in the cave entrances they had dug at first I thought god I need to vac that excess food out that cave untill I noticed the movement and eyes. So point being im currently feeding the adults crushed cichlid pellets by making it finer will the fry eat this as brine shrimp only comes in to my local LFS fortnightly.

Right I feel a right noob here done some research but there is no info regarding my situation now the male and female were getting along just fine with the fry taking turns to leave the cave and patrol the tank since removing the danios and adding them to the the group of danios in my 190lt I have noticed the male taking a group of fry with him then the female would follow. Yesterday I added co2 tablets to the aquarium as my plants are starting to melt to the point that the water flow has them looking all stringy. The female was hanging out in the cave they retire to when the light is out the male had a group of fry out with him he was dashing back to the cave and chasing the female out as there was fry in the cave she quickly returned and the same processes went on till lights out I have thought about removing the male but for the well being of the fish in my 190lt I have no were to put him as he was added to this tank because he was attacking anything that moved. Any advice would be great ?

I would just them play it out.
If you have a fish that you think won't eat fry then he may 'bond' the pair better.
Most pairs do better when defending as opposed to just being mad at each other...
But most fish that can will make a meal of fry so IMO you are just best to let them be.
I am waiting for my wild kribs to spawn in their 29 g..Once they have a spawn or two under their belt I will work them in a separate tank if I have not[or they have not] had success in the set up they are in.I think they may just do fine without much help from me...
ATM they share the 29g with orange laser cories {may really be trouble?} and 2 otos...
Possibly adding extra small structures the parents can not get in but fry can will help in moments of panic for the fry? I know for many fish I breed and leave with partents I use broken terra cotta pots scattered on bottom of tank to offer shelter for fry that parents can not get them in...

So i turned on my aquarium light today to see my male albino krib has no longer got a red underside so this caused me to look for the fry with no luck ether they have been sucked in by the filter which has a very low flow rate or one of the parents have ate them. Gutted

Were the fry free swimming yet?
Parents definitely move wigglers around to keep them hidden and safe from bacteria..
Are there other fish in the tank with the kribs?
Sorry if they are gone but my rams play tricks with fry and wigglers like crazy...
Hope you find them ,and if not the pair will likely spawn again in 14 days or so...

Yeah they were swimming spent all their time with the male as he would not allow the female near them unless it was lights out and he would move them to the cave she was hiding in the male would not let her leave the cave for anything. I removed the danios that were in the tank and added them to the school I had in my 190lt once I noticed they had fry. Observed 24hrs and no fry so they must be gone this morning I have noticed the male and female are inseparable again

So I have noticed my kribs now have a new bunch of fry should I leave this new batch in as they ate the last ones. Or get a net hatchery and transfer the fry in to that? I have noticed the females stomach has got bigger since 2 days ago when I seen the young moving around in the cave the parents have them out and about patrolling the tank and not going to far from the young till I feed them then they leave the young fry to there own will

If the kribs are only fish in tank I would let them have another chance.
They will keep spawning if you just keep doing what ever you are doing for them.
Once I get a good pair of dwarf cichlids spawning they are easy to please and the opportunity to take eggs will present itself often.My kribs raised fry where my rams need to have the eggs artificially hatched for fry rearing.
If you want to raise fry you should either remove parents after they are free swimming , way easier then trying to catch all fry with berserk parents.
Or pull the eggs and artificially hatch.
Krib fry will be small enough the breeder net is either useless or a death sentence.3-4 weeks they can go in a net but if they are in their own tank no need. I hatch in Toms Dip and pour containers...Fry can be maintained for upto 1 month in them if done properly .
It takes lots of practice.:cool:

If the kribs are only fish in tank I would let them have another chance.
They will keep spawning if you just keep doing what ever you are doing for them.
Once I get a good pair of dwarf cichlids spawning they are easy to please and the opportunity to take eggs will present itself often.My kribs raised fry where my rams need to have the eggs artificially hatched for fry rearing.
If you want to raise fry you should either remove parents after they are free swimming , way easier then trying to catch all fry with berserk parents.
Or pull the eggs and artificially hatch.
Krib fry will be small enough the breeder net is either useless or a death sentence.3-4 weeks they can go in a net but if they are in their own tank no need. I hatch in Toms Dip and pour containers...Fry can be maintained for upto 1 month in them if done properly .
It takes lots of practice.:cool:
I'm still practicing:ermm:

I have a few danios in with the kribs as the first time they had fry I put the danios back in to my trigon 190 as I was scared they would eat the fry this led to the the male becoming aggressive to the female and would not allow her near the young this resulted in her eating them all and now they are back together.

Maybe the danios will help re enforce or bond the pair?
Many pairs of cichlids[many] need to practice a few times before they get right.
See if it goes differently with the danios in.

I think it helps them bond as they are taking turns of watching the fry and then giving the danios a little chase but the danios are too fast

Back
Top Bottom