New Java Moss..Brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So yeah I just picked uo some Java Moss and plan on attaching it to some driftwood. It wasn't very healthy at the LFS but usually the plants that I buy aren't and i bring them back to life.
I am wondering if i should let the moss "come back" first, or if I can tie it to the driftwood now, while it's brown? Should I wait?

Thanks
Steve

Ive been told that the brown is the root structure. But if it's brown. Java moss is a hardy plant and will grow back! So tie it on!

Lol yeah, you can see that the root structure is brown. The problem is that the rest of it is too haha.

The java moss root structure is really small and more of a reddish brown. The hay colored java moss might not come back. The closer to green the better chance it has of coming back.

I had a similar thing happen to my Christmas tree moss and now it looks terrible. Does it grow back green or should I just get java moss? Also it is close to the light does that affect it?

AquaAussie said:
I had a similar thing happen to my Christmas tree moss and now it looks terrible. Does it grow back green or should I just get java moss? Also it is close to the light does that affect it?

Did it turn that way after a while in your tank, or was it received that way? Received that way would just need time to see. If it turned that way after a while in your tank, it might be another factor, possibly a nutrient deficiency. I've never owned Christmas moss (I'd like to...wink wink) but from what I understand, it needs a higher light to form it's desired crust as tree shape.

Oh ok so I should discard the brown clumps and put all the greens ones together?
Darnit I thought i could bring it back!

Smcoyle87 said:
Oh ok so I should discard the brown clumps and put all the greens ones together?
Darnit I thought i could bring it back!

Don't throw it out just yet. I wouldn't doubt if it could possibly come back, aquatic plants have it in there DNA to be invasive and grow no matter what. Your plant is already in a recovering state so wait till you get some new growth. That's what I would do anyways. :D

You got a co2 dispenser in your tank? I dont know.of i write it right. But the co2 is really really good for plants. I got this tiny set i use when my.plants arent very nice, and after 1 week they grow and explode trough my.tanks

Yeah i have 2 diy Co2 units and okay, ill wait a week or so and see what happens. Thanks for the opinions guys!

Mine were green when I got them and now are brown. I just changed 30% of my water, removed a lot of algae and added liquid co2 stuff, liquid fertilizers and root tabs to the bottom. The moss has always been very close to the light up on a big log. So maybe not enough nutrients?

AquaAussie said:
Mine were green when I got them and now are brown. I just changed 30% of my water, removed a lot of algae and added liquid co2 stuff, liquid fertilizers and root tabs to the bottom. The moss has always been very close to the light up on a big log. So maybe not enough nutrients?

It could be a bunch of stuff. It could be an acclimation issue, it could be algae was out competing it for nutrients, you should do a water test if you can, that might give you some insight. From what I've read that type of moss is a more sensitive than java moss. All you can do is wait and see. Good luck and keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom