Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianaquarium View Post
Hello, thanks for all your replies... I will attach a pic of the chart that was on the box. As you can see it has a spike in the blue, and 2 spikes in the red.. what does that mean, will it grow my plants... and im thinking of keeping it for now... because it says its suppose to grow plants, what do you guys think? And please help me out... for plants i have an Amazon sword another sword (not sure exactly what kind) a bunch of Bacopa Caroliniana, Some dwarf hair grass I got not to long ago and its not carpeting yet but slowly growing... some hornwort, java moss.

I'd take cal's advice over mine as his knowledge is far larger than mine. Basically by the sounds of it, it's just personal preference (what the light looks the best). I'd give it a go and see how it works.

Just remember if it's brighter than your old bulb then u may come into grief with algae.

More light = more co2(more excel), more ferts(or flourish) so make sure u keep an eye on the tank for the first week or 2 and adjust your ferts to suit.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

When I had a single tube fluorescent hood, I was using an 8000k bulb and it displayed a pleasant color throughout the tank. I then switched to a plant style bulb (can't recall the K value) and it produced a pinkish hue. The blue Danios looked flesh/salmon toned. Yuck. I returned the bulb.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hello, thanks for all your replies... I will attach a pic of the chart that was on the box. As you can see it has a spike in the blue, and 2 spikes in the red.. what does that mean, will it grow my plants... and im thinking of keeping it for now... because it says its suppose to grow plants, what do you guys think? And please help me out... for plants i have an Amazon sword another sword (not sure exactly what kind) a bunch of Bacopa Caroliniana, Some dwarf hair grass I got not to long ago and its not carpeting yet but slowly growing... some hornwort, java moss.

It's the area under the curves that are important. The peaks don't really mean anything relevant. The bulb is fine. Plants enjoy red and blue light.

Whether or not this light reaches them in sufficient quantities another question which means this is the most relevant graph to look at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2389.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	292333

Different plants have different light compensation points and the LPC can be lowered further with the addition of carbon. If you reach and go beyond the LPC you will induce a process known as photorespiration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorespiration

This is a wasteful process that will ultimately see the demise of your plants. This is rare though. Usually you just get slower growth. If you are trying to achieve a carpet using dwarf hair grass then using higher PAR bulbs or fixtures makes more sense but the extra energy normally requires the use of supplementary carbon sources.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

The new light actually seems less bright than the one I used to use... Bert2oo1 and thanks for all the information Caliban07 I think I will give the light a go... it does make my fish glow a little, ill just see what it does to my plants, if i dont like it i will stick it onto my 10 gallon and put the one i used to have back on the 30... thanks guys.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The new light actually seems less bright than the one I used to use... Bert2oo1 and thanks for all the information Caliban07 I think I will give the light a go... it does make my fish glow a little, ill just see what it does to my plants, if i dont like it i will stick it onto my 10 gallon and put the one i used to have back on the 30... thanks guys.

Good plan, let us know how u get on, I'm interested to know how different the growth rate etc is. I've never had much to do with fluro's as I use LED's
Old 12-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I read somewhere that if the light seems dim to humans because they can't see that color, and plants can... based on that graph thing i posted does it look like the plants should grow from this light? Thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I read somewhere that if the light seems dim to humans because they can't see that color, and plants can... based on that graph thing i posted does it look like the plants should grow from this light? Thanks

The plants will grow bud. Just try it. There is no rule when it comes to planted tanks.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright thanks for the replies, but if the spike is bigger in the blue than in the red what will that do? What does that say... is it better to have bigger spike in the blue for plants or more in the red? Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 04:46 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Alright thanks for the replies, but if the spike is bigger in the blue than in the red what will that do? What does that say... is it better to have bigger spike in the blue for plants or more in the red? Thanks

As long as there is some in both it doesn't matter the effects will be negligible and the plants will adapt. I don't even know what spectral details my LED puts out. I don't know the Kelvins or the PAR. Plants growing fine.

I think you are reading too much and overthinking things. Light is important but there are other parameters that need considering for a healthy planted tank.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think it is only a flourescent tube and you will live and learn. and grow algae
TPT people are rolling over in their graves.
5500-8,000 k freshwater and 10,000-22,000k marine.
Say you want links since no one finds them...
This from DFS who we usually laugh at for being under informed.....

The Right K Rating for Your Aquarium
The following guidelines can help you select lighting with a K rating that best duplicates your inhabitants' natural conditions:
  • Fish Only Aquarium - Choose a bulb with a spectrum based on your personal preference. A lamp with a low K rating emits redder light and exhibits more vivid colors than a lamp with a higher K rating (emitting bluer light). Normal-output fluorescent bulbs are quite popular.
  • Freshwater Planted Aquarium - Fluorescent and compact fluorescent bulbs are frequently used to provide the full spectrum range of light (5500°K to 7500°K), most plants require. As a general rule, provide between 2 and 5 watts per gallon.
  • Saltwater Reef Aquarium - Many corals and invertebrates have naturally adapted to bluer light. Therefore, most reef lighting systems include bulbs with a high Kelvin rating. 10000°K to 20000°K are frequently used.

• As I mentioned almost worth laughing at as they still do watts per gallon.
  • But IMO you are going to grow algae,BBA and maybe even every ones fav, cyanno*..!
  • I use [still unfortunately] many marine lights on FW tanks so I am not guessing on this....
I can pull real links on lighting,but they are already here in one of my post?

http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._Lighting.html

* I know cyanno is a bacteria...A PS bacteria that loves light.....

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com