New light, options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakerBoy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got this light for my ten gallon. I was wondering what level I have and what I can grow? Tank you for the replies.

Embarrassing. Forgot the picture!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120711_180036.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120711_180036.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 49
IMO, I don't recommend using over-the-counter house bulbs for aquariums. I don't feel they have the enough power but someone else might hop in and tell u different. I would just get fixture.

Te light bulb is perfectly fine, it's 6500k and fleuroscent. just make sure something prevents water evaporation reaching the light bulb as it will render it useless!

The problem with the spiral cfls is that the shape is not very efficient, tons of restrike. The idea is to get as much light directed down toward the tank. Think about light waves as water coming out of a hose, you can imagine how much of it would be hitting itself if it was in a spiral design like that.

That said, these bulbs do work fine, I have 2 in a 29g that has been running for a year or so now, and have used them in a few setups over the years.

Most 10g tanks with the standard hoods have 2 sockets for bulbs, and those larger cfls don't normally fit without modification, but if it fits fine then it should be good for at least low-medium lighting. Try putting a reflector in if possible, it will help.

I have a different fixture that I'm using, not the stock hood. Thank you for all your replies. What makes the best diy reflector? I heard foil scatters the light to much. And is there any carpet plants I could grow?

Back
Top Bottom