New light suggestions pls :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have bought a basic rectangle 5g tank. I want a reasonably priced clip on light that will be sufficient enough to grow some low-medium plants.

Would love to have any recommendations. I will be buying online as I'm in the UK. Thanks

I will not be running co2, this is low tech and I don't want to encourage algae with a light that is too strong for my basic set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would also appreciate petite plant species recommendations along with the light advice if possible?! ;-)

I'm hoping to have some red cherry shrimp....not done shrimp before. Might try a peaceful betta I with them too. A betta and 5 small shrimp ok for a 5g?

Would also appreciate petite plant species recommendations along with the light advice if possible?! ;-)

I'm hoping to have some red cherry shrimp....not done shrimp before. Might try a peaceful betta I with them too. A betta and 5 small shrimp ok for a 5g?

Good luck finding a Betta that will work with cherry shrimp. Their bright coloration often does not work well with bettas. Best advise for keeping both is LOTS of hiding places for the shrimp.

You could do RCS and a school of micro fish like rasboras, endless, or some killifish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I know, I think it is very dependant on the betta's personality!

I thought my 5g would be too small even for nano fish, I assumed they would need a reasonable sized school?? Something to think about tho, thanks :)

Waiting for Theresa or Dee to hop in here. They are a lot better with micro fish than me. There are some species that will work though. It is just commonly known that *MOST* bettas will not work with colorful shrimp.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
I have bought a basic rectangle 5g tank. I want a reasonably priced clip on light that will be sufficient enough to grow some low-medium plants.

Would love to have any recommendations. I will be buying online as I'm in the UK. Thanks

I will not be running co2, this is low tech and I don't want to encourage algae with a light that is too strong for my basic set up.

Check eBay,finnex offers some decent led clip on fixtures..

As for small plants: ofcourse the usual anubias nana/petite, pogostemon is also nice. Dwarf sagittaria is a fun one as well. As for the back of the tank maybe try some medium-smal crypts.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

As for small plants: ofcourse the usual anubias nana/petite, pogostemon is also nice. Dwarf sagittaria is a fun one as well. As for the back of the tank maybe try some medium-smal crypts.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Excellent, thanks :) Haven't herd of the pogostemon before, will check that out.

Excellent, thanks :) Haven't herd of the pogostemon before, will check that out.

If is the Helferi species just know it takes a while for the roots to establish and get going. I've never had much luck with it. But others have so not to discourage you more just inform.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom