New lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm buying a t5-ho 2x54 and also going to run my t5 28 watt with it
how is that for my plants
Java moss
java fern
Crystalwort
Crypto spiralis

What else should I get

That should be plenty of light for those plants. If you keep your T5NO fixture in addition to adding the T5HO fixture, you'll probably have to do CO2 injection and a fert regimen to keep algae down.

Look into some tall stem plants for the background. A nice anubias never hurts either.

+1 on Anubias.

Ludwigia and Four Leaf Clover also have tall stems for background.

Some swords do too, but it may take a while for them to grow out.

Well, watts is a measure of energy drawn, whereas kelvins is the measure of color temperature (color of light output), so we're comparing apples to oranges here.

Both are factors in deciding what kind of light to use. Though with a T5HO bulb on your tank, wattage won't be as big of a deal. Color temperature should be between 6000K and 10000K. A lot of debate on what's best but as long as it's in the temperature range, there should be plenty of PAR for your plants.

Wattage is more important than the color temperature. You can have a bulb that puts out the perfect color spectrum for your plants, but if it's only 5W you're not going to be able to grow much if anything. Conversely if you have a couple 50W bulbs that fall somewhere in the white color spectrum you should be able to grow a bunch of plants. There's a high probability that any white bulb will put out the wavelengths your plants need.

Sorry Jim, wasn't trying to say that. What I meant was that with the wattage output for the fixture he's buying (mentioned in the OP), his concern right now should be more the color temperature.

So here is what I have where do u guys think I am
T8-ho 2x32 watt 6500k per bulb
T5-dry 1x28 watt 10kk (guessing that is 10000)

Coyote, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just trying to illustrate the difference between wattage and color temperature. I'm also pretty sure he's dealing with a 55g here.

xfactor, I don't believe there is such a thing as a T8HO fixture. 48" T8 bulbs come in 32W and 40W varieties. Even so, I think you've got enough light for low-light and medium-light plants. You're in a good light range because you can grow a variety of plants, but you don't have to necessarily inject CO2.

A very conservative estimate on light output will yield roughly 6440 Lumens total (70 Lm/W for T5HOs).

Using that same formula on my 29G, I have about 3360 Lumens and that is plenty adequate for my tank with light ferts (root tabs) and no CO2.

Chances are, your actual light output will be a degree higher than that.

Overall, yes, I would say that would be plenty light for your tank, though if you do start to see algae growth, you're going to need to invest in CO2. Ferts are always good, no matter how you cut it though.

Coyote, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just trying to illustrate the difference between wattage and color temperature. I'm also pretty sure he's dealing with a 55g here.

Thank you for clarifying!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help I have low light plants right now but wanted to go med light so I'm happy

Great! :] Glad to be of service. All this talk of plants got me going today so I redesigned the planting in my tank, haha.

Back
Top Bottom