New Lighting for 20 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am trying to get a new lighting system going....something to sustain more plants in the medium to high light range if possible. I currently have a tweeked and failing oldschool 36W from a friends retired aquarium system. I currently only have lowlight (anubias and crypts) and medium-low( only a frill, moneywort, and wisteria) light plants installed, so far so good. I have never really made my own lighting system and have been reading up on it in the various forum links and suggested links. It seems very complicated and confusing at times given the multitude of suggestions and preferences. So, my question is one on fundamentals I guess.

I am debating between purchasing a lighting system or perhaps undergoing a dyi project depending on suggestions. I am considering a 65W PC system by Coralife. I have seen two setups one with a single fixture for around $65 and a second with 2x 65W, which admittedly is priced way out of my range at ~$155. Any opinions on if the 2x is really neccessary or if getting a 50/50 bulb 10000k compact bulb would be sufficient for a 20 gal tall. I understand there are tons of preferences on bulbs as well. We shall get to that eventually. For now, I would like to focus on the topic of keeping my current plants alive and new ones that I will get eventually that require light in the 3WPG range. What is neccessary versus nice for lighting in a planted 20 gal?

After all this, I am sure to be asking questions on upgrading the carbon sourse :). You guys are such a great resource!

Thanks and Please help!

I think the single 65w would be sufficient for all medium light plants and some high light plants. Having co2 injected and dosing fertilizers will allow you more plant options. If you were to get the 2x65w then I suggest having a burst period where both bulbs are on instead of leaving both on for 8-10 hours (thats alot of light!). I had 2x65w over a 20g before and only had both bulbs on for about 4 hours a day. Its still considered high light and you'll want to have co2 and dose fertilizers for sure or you'll be battling serious algae. If you used a 50/50 bulb and a daylight bulb, that would be good for the 2x65w.

But, I think a single 65w would be fine too.

Another option is t5ho lighting, but it will be more expensive to get alot of wattage over the tank.

I am purchasing a new lighting system for my 20 gal freshwater tank. I have selected a couple 65W single compact systems. However I notice on the websites some are deisgnated for saltwater/reef and others for freshwater. As far as I can technically figure out the only differences are really in the supplied light that comes with it. Am I missing something?

The measurements for the various systems are identical and and watts for the bulbs the same. But reef lighting systems come with a 50/50 bulb with 10k and 460nm actinics. I am aware that for freshwater i dont need this bulb, but other than that, is there a fundamental difference? Can't I just go buy a better bulb that fits the lighting system?

the only different between the two is the bulb that comes with it. if you got one with a 50/50 i woudl give it a try. the bulb wont help the plants much but it will make the fish look great. 65w over a 20 gallon might make it a little hard to keep stable though it can be done.

my CF bulbs i cost less then $15 each. worst case you can get cheap ones from ebay for 5-7 each.

That stinks..... when I got my light off ebay for $50 it had two 6700k's in it with no legs. I replaced the bulbs with a 10k and an actinic for $50 each from Petsmart. Then I payed about $11 for the legs. So.. for that I could have just gotten it new.

Yup, I've known that for a bit as I'm putting an equipment list together for a 75g reef that I'm planning on setting up soon. Either from Aquacave or F&S. I just want my nova extreme pro (Drooling). (Last off topic post, sorry to OP for kinda hijacking thread)

Back
Top Bottom