New lighting for 26G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally got my new lighting for my 26G. It came with a 50/50 bulb, which I decided I didn't like, so I pulled it out and put in a 64000k bulb, which I like. And so does the java moss. :)

It's a single 65W 64000k bulb. My nitrates were above 20ppm before I added it, then I put on the new light, dropped in 2 CO2 Plant tablets, and today, 2 days later, my nitrates are barely 10ppm. So the java moss must not be soaking in the nitrates. So instead of doing 70% changes, now I only need to do 20% weekly with a gravel vac, as the java moss is keeping my nitrates down. Ammonia and Nitrite are 0ppm, and ph is 7.0. Here's a couple pics.

26g1.jpg

26g2.jpg

26g3.jpg

Wasn't sure if the light would work with my hood on the bowfront, but it works perfectly. Got it cheap on Ebay, which is where I do most of my buying. Not from individuals, but from actual Ebay stores. :)

Oh, and the crud that was growing on the java moss is starting to disappear, as I believe the java moss is out-competing it for nutrient intake, and the java moss is much greener. Loving it... :) (y)

dropped in 2 CO2 Plant tablets

??? you aren't talking about the Jungle labs Co2 "pucks" are you? if you are, you aren't supposed to add them to the water, it's a refill for their fizz factory.

Light looks good, ever think of replacing the top with a glasstop?

No... It's by Jungle as well, but are the ones where you drop in the tank, and gives off both CO2 and other nutrients and trace elements.

It's a bowfront and I can't find a glass top anywhere. Besides, the opening is the same size as the width of the fixture, so there's plenty of light.

They are the Jungle Plant Care Fizz Tabs. You drop them right into the tank, 1 tab per 10 gallons. I use 2 tabs. I don't necessarily do it for the CO2, as I know a lot of it escapes due to my HOB, but doing it for some of the other trace elements. I do it once every 2 weeks or so. And it's just java moss, so I'm not looking for much to add. The java moss looks to be starting to come alive. Looking real good now. Very green. Now to see how fast it will grow with much improved lighting.

Plant care Co2 Fizz tabs, Plant care Fizz tabs, Jungle labs needs to work on their naming scheme..

I would just use Excel and not bother with those, you get more for your $$, traces aren't used up that fast and that product keeps adding to it. (they are also replenished with PWC.)

I already ordered some Excel, it's on the way. Just using up the last few fizz tabs I have til it gets here. Will be using my last 2 tabs next week, then will go to the Excel. I should have the shipment Tues or Wed. :)

I just did tests today, 3 days after adding the light. Java moss is growing, finally. Looking good. I was getting ready to do a 60-70% PWC, as the nitrates were just over 20ppm. Now they are over 5ppm, but not quite 10ppm. So I'll just be doing small 20% PWC's from here on out, just to add fresh water. Both ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm. So all's going great. Just might need to suppliment a little more nitrate on occasion if it drops to 0ppm. But til then, will let the stuff grow, lol.

I errored there. Correction... My nitrates were above 20ppm, but are now between 10ppm and 20ppm, not 5ppm and 10ppm. My AP test color is just a little above the 10ppm, but not quite 20ppm.

Just wondering, why not switch all your plants to real? Seems like if you are going to get the lighting and deal with the extra work of one plant, why not do them all?

Eventually, I was planning on that. Now that I have 2+w/g on the small tank, will be looking to start replacing the plastic for real as well. Maybe even do a small DIY CO2 system for it. But my first priority is the 75G. Then if things go good, I can take the clippings and add to the small tank and start removing plastic. Will do the same with the 55G as well.

Back
Top Bottom