new lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
well seems that people are just sugesting low light plants for my first planted tank.

That being said

I need a new bulb. My roomate works at a pet warehouse he gets wholesale on **** Off the top of his head he said they have Zoo MEd lights and a bunch others....MY lighting fixture is 19 wats only :****( but ill make do.. do i just make sure the bulb is right length and the right wattage?

FOr a 15 gal high tank

pretty much any fluorescent tube that's not an actinic will grow plants fine...especially when you're sticking to low light, easy plants. So yeah, pretty much stick to a bulb of the right length, diameter (not as important, espeically if your ballast isn't junky, it'll power several T-sizes).

Your biggest concern should be the color of the light and how it makes the fish look. many plant tubes are very pink/purple, and seem dim to the human eye. if you want a whiter light, look for a daylight bulb.

I would just go to a home depot/ace hardware...you can get an appropriate bulb for about $5...prolly cheaper than any wholesale 'aquarium specific' bulb...they usually start at $12.99 retail and work up.

Back
Top Bottom