New Nuvo 24 Tank Scaping plans needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rbtnccord

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will get getting an Innovative Marines Nuvo 24 tank in the next couple of weeks.
Its display dimensions are 36"L x 9.5" D x 13" H
There are two returns from the filtration in the tank each about 12" in from each end.
I will be putting a small about 10-12" peice of very twisted manzanita into the tank and using Tahitian Black Sand for the substrate. Possibly mixed with flourite.
I would like to ask fellow members to give me some sound aqua scaping for the tank.
I envision a small school of 9 to 11 cardinals a pair of Electric Blue Rams possibly 2 pairs. A small group of corydoras (3-4) as the inhabitants.

Some plants I would like to incorporate are small dense ground cover in foreground such as glossostigma Elatinoides, star moss, micro sword or other great carpet plants, An area of hairgrass or micro swords and some neat plants maybe vesuvius, pellia, or some other suggestions.
If some of you would like to suggest a scape plan and the planting locations that would be great. I am not anticipating co2 injection. Maybe a Fluval cartridge one but it will not go in initially. Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Figure out how to spend my money on a wise dense planting.
Also open to other fish ideas. Would love to have a pair of discus but I doubt the tank could handle more than juvies. Always liked them but never had them. My local LFS (a nice shop Catfish Charlie's says it could take a pair). He has allot of them in his display tanks and has breed them.
Anyway all help is appreciated.
Bob

Sounds neat and I'm following as I was thinking about getting one of these tanks. I'm not a ton of help with plants but I can suggest that if you do your rams do not get two pairs. I couldn't keep two males from fighting in a 75 gallon heavily planted tank, there's also a recent thread about this under general discussion.

Nuvo 24 vs Bio 29

I am getting allot of push from my dealer regarding the Bio 29G vs the Nuvo 24 mainly due to the lack of depth. The 29g has a good volume of water in the display area and is deeper and taller just not as long. Hard to argue especially when you consider it comes complete with Lighting compact flourscents, hood, wet dry filtration and enough room for uv sterilizer, skimmer, heater, all in one chamber and still a large cavity for a wet/dry bio media area. I am having to think about it alot. Also full tank is about 75 bucks less that the Nuvo 16 and a good 125 less than the Nuvo 24 and you still have to spend a couple hundred more for lighting on the 24. Hard choice I must weigh.
I will keep the forum posted on my decision and which one I choose.
bob

I have seen the Nuvo 16 nice tanks.

If I were you I wouldn't get the Bio 29g unless they sell a glass top for it? I have the Nano Cube 12g and it's very similar. The PC lighting is really intense, gets hot, and the fans or annoying... with intense lighting, you'll always have to run this tank as a "high tech" setup... meaning a lot of co2, ferts, etc. or you'll have an algae factory on your hands. You'll also be limited down the road if you ever want to use different lighting unless you buy a glass top or if you retro fit the hood with LED lighting (DIY or Current Truelumens w/ a dimmer).. The flow is also probably too strong, so you'll most likely need to replace that with a pump with a flow control. I wish I bought a glass top back when the Nano Cube 12g's were new because I cant find them anywhere now.

Edit: Most of the plants you mentioned for carpeting would do well with high lighting and co2 injection. You 'might' be able to get by using a liquid carbon source such as Excel or Glut. Further, I advise against buying the Fluval co2 cartridge system... the cartridges will get expensive over time having to replace them w/out the ability to refill them. Plus, there's no solenoid valve on the regulator so you'll waste the co2 faster only increasing your need to buy replacement cartridges. Instead, go with a regular co2 system. Even a paintball co2 system would be better than the proprietary cartridge systems.

Last edited:
I agree with what Brian has said. Those cartridge CO2 systems are budget killers. They probably would be ok in a nano-sized tank, but I wouldn't put them on anything more than a 10g if I needed to rely on CO2 in any capacity. I also agree that your plant selection doesn't reflect the setup that you've got. I think you'll find yourself wanting more than PC has to offer.

Bio 29

so what tank would you suggedt? The Innovatibe Msrine 30 or 38 they do vome with glass tops. my pronlem they sre more $$$$ and yhen I must buy lightd etc.
The bio is about 3 wpg with the two 36 w cf.
Corslife has some lower wstt ones I believe. Not certain if any oyhers do.
At $270 out the door for a new Coralife Bio 29 which includes lighting it is hard to beat. what I may do is run only 1 cf and then a strip of leds to suppliment thst not sure yet. But I was thinking running a cannister CO2 system like Flugals or Amanos with the tank and just run it seversl hours a day. May not need to switch the lights at all then.
I am going to order my plants after I design my aquascape all in one big order
will be fun taking my time setting it up.
Although FW I am going to run UV sterilizer to kill patogenes and algae.
thoughts.

How about just getting a rimless tank and just piece all the equipment separately? You can go with a Mr.Aqua, TruAqua (AquaTop), Do!Aqua, or ADA -- depending on budget and size.

Back
Top Bottom