New Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a new plant today. It isnt the prettiest but i needed a live one, I was told this doesnt need much lighting. The bad news is a bunch of leaves came off when I put it in and the water totally changed color to a nasty brown. ARG! Here are some pictures of the new plant and some moss I got.

Anacharis, true, not much light needed.

The bad news is a bunch of leaves came off when I put it in and the water totally changed color to a nasty brown.

Always clean your plants when you get new ones, you can avoid what happened to you. Swish them around gently in a bucket of water and you'll gett off any dead/dying material. Use old aquarium water for this.

sounds good, i will most likely just do a big water change tom. you can do a 100% with toads. They love the moss, dont think they realize they is a live plant, I hope it takes some of the nasties out of the water. I forgot to say it was anacharis, sorry. You figured it out though. Do you guys have any other ideas for some cool plants, cant be really big. I have a good spot for a live one in the back next to this one. I only have one light though.

Java moss would be good, low light plant, grows low to the sustrate so it wouldn't clog up your limited amount of water.

You could think about some terrarium plants, ones that are happy with their roots in water and leaves emerged. I have a list of them in one of my books, but without pics, wouldn't do much good.

Check this out!

http://www.blackjungle.com/

Never used them, but just checked their site, looks pretty awesome for ordering plants and landscape ideas for terrariums!

Thanks, I have looked for some bog plants but never seen any, One large one for the center would add a little spice to my tank. Ill check it out and post what I do, thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom