New Plant grow-out station!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I'm starting a plant grow-out/work area in my basement. I've sold a few (plants and RCS) on my local Craigslist to fund plant&fert purchases for my tanks and kept wishing for a place to set aside some of my trimmings. The free space was calling out to me and I finally decided to get things rolling. I don't want to sink any $ into it, so I'm planning on starting out with stuff I already have on hand. I've got a 20 long (with stand; yardsale find for $20 that's been sitting unused all summer) and a 20 gal tall that was a freebie. I have an extra 30" T5 fixture laying around (from my old 37 gal) so that will be going on the 20gal long. A spare 24" T8 fixture will be going on the 20 high (plus I have a 17w plant light (used it a couple of times to start vegetables) already built into the work area that I can use if I need it. I am going to start with plants I already have but I'm planning on adding a few others to experiment with as I go. Not much to look at yet, but I thought I'd share. Pretty excited :brows:

img_1521827_0_c806b7075488eeb455ae62cd3f4d5d15.jpg

Last edited:
Interested in seeing how this comes along. I was planning an 8ft long 1ft tall frag tank to do plant growout but I stopped short because to 'go pro' requires a good bit of aquaculture licensing and other junk, so I figured it's not something i'd ever want to get too heavy into.

I had a pretty cool setup earlier this year with a 40b outside, covered it tightly with opaque plastic and grew crypts, marsilea, and an amazon sword emersed for a while till it got too hot out and I neglected to move the setup into a better shaded area.

Interested in seeing how this comes along. I was planning an 8ft long 1ft tall frag tank to do plant growout but I stopped short because to 'go pro' requires a good bit of aquaculture licensing and other junk, so I figured it's not something i'd ever want to get too heavy into.

My thoughts exactly. I guess I should clarify- I won't be purchasing plants specifically to sell, but rather I just want a dedicated space for growing my trimmings/ experimenting with new plants to put in my "show" tanks. Any occasional sale $ will not be for profit but will go right back into maintaining my "fish" tanks.

Excited about it though...my hubby holds the purse strings and he hasn't been willing to let me set up anymore Freshwater "fish" tanks, so this is a way for me to experiment with my plants more. (He wants me to do a saltwater tank, but I'm not sure I am ready to tackle something like that yet!)

Last edited:
Will you sell them?

I've never sold any online, just to local aquarists. With four planted fish tanks, I always have trimmings though. Normally I just throw them away...although I did just get fussed at by one my former Craigslist trade partners for doing that. I traded him RCS for a fish tank and then traded him plants for some juve angelfish. He asked me last week if I had any extra plants and he about had a fit when I told him I threw a lb of rotala in the trash just that week. lol Anyway, hence the grow out tanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom