new planted and heated 10 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's going on guys, I was just wondering. I got a 10 gallon and have a crab and snail in there at the moment ( probably shouldn't have got them). What's the bestial to cycle the tank. I got it last week around the beginning. If you guys could drop some advise that would fantastic.

Do you have a test kit? What kind of crab is it? It is too late to do a fishless cycle (unless you can bring the critters back). The inverts may not be enough to spur a cycle (at least not quickly).

ok cool. What is your ammonia testing at? If there is any readable, you may be able to do a cycle with the animals you have. Any chance you can return the snail and the crab and do a fishless cycle? That really is the best way.

The ammonia test were kinda high before I did a 25 percent water change. Sadly I can't return the critters, cause I misplaced the receipts. Looks like I have to cycle the tank with the crab and snail. So with that said what's the best way to do that?

You are on the right track already.

You want to keep your ammonia and nitrIte levels below 0.25ppm. This may mean you do daily 50% or more partial water changes (pwc). It will probably take several weeks, but eventually you will get a 0 ammonia reading, a 0 nitrite reading, and a nitrate reading of 0-20ppm is ideal.

The cycle will start with ammonia spikes, and then you will have nirIte spikes, and finally get to the ideal.

Yeah that's I'm trying for. If my craters die is there anything I can do/buy that will aid the process?

IF the critters for some reason don't make it, then you would want to read up on fishless cycling and go that route.

My personal opinion, I would avoid the bacteria in a bottle type products that promise to speed up a cycle... at best they might help a bit, but are really hit or miss.

Yup. Check out the articles section of this site. You can find a link at the top of the page. There is a great article about fishless cycling in the freshwater articles section.

Back
Top Bottom