New Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkins409

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had a 75g aquarium for about 10 years stocked with a variety of African Cichlids. Now those are all gone and I'm trying to maintain a planted aquarium. I love the look of planted aquariums!!! Some absolutely fantastic ones out there. I'd really like some help with growing dwarf hairgrass. Any secrets?

Welcome to aquarium advice!! What do you have for water parameters, filtration, aeration, substrate? Other than the grass what types of plants are you interested in? What do you think that you want for livestock? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to get an understanding of what you're planning on doing so I can help.

Filtration: Rena Canister filter with three types of filter media

Aeration: No mechanical CO2 yet. I was hoping to see if I like doing a planted aquarium first. So I'm using a chemical CO2 enhancer.

Water parameters: 78 degrees. I can test for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate with the basic kit I have.

Light: 4 x 54 watt T5 HO light recommended at pet store. Replaced some of the bulbs.

Plants wanted: dwarf hairgrass. I have a couple of others but I threw the packages away. I'm up for trying anything. I prefer ones with smaller leaves and do not look like house plants.

Fish: all I have now is a pleco. I'd like to get cardinal tetras when the plants are established.

Substrate: black CaribSea Floramax substrate

Food: currently using flourish tabs that you stick in the gravel. I've tried a liquid fertilizer too.

Off to a great start!! I would suggest looking at crypts, java lace, vals.. liveaquaria.com has a pretty decent "guide" to available plants and there basic parameters- good place to start looking.

Dwarf hairgrass- I believe you can get coconut mats with grass grown (same goes for certain mosses and dwarf ornamentals) that you can cut and lay out as you like, but I'm not certain. I'm sure rivercats will be around to help out soon- she's awesome!! If you look at tank of the month for january you can see her tank

Welcome to AA! You have high light and I assume your using a liquid carbon daily? I use Glutaraldehyde which is the same as Excel and API CO2 Booster but much cheaper. I run high lighting and you will find you will have to use a higher dose than the normal 1ml per 10 gallons. With higher light the plants grow faster and really need the extra liquid carbon. And it is safe to use at higher doses, if you read the Excel bottle it even states higher doses may be needed or used in high light and heavily planted tanks.

Something else you need to look into is dry ferts. They are much more economical and they will supply your plants with all the micro and macro nutrients they need. I use this fert package.... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. Then I use 3 of these dosing bottles... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums. They make dosing very easy. I use one bottle for nitrates, one bottle for phosphates and potassium, and one bottle for micros. I also add 5ml Excel per 250ml of micro and macro solution to keep mold/fungus from growing in the solution which extends storage time. I dose PPS-Pro, I prefer it over El as I can custom dose my ferts to the actual needs of my plants. Here is a thread about PPS-Pro, just read the openning post, not all the comments afterwards... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central.

When planting Dwarf hairgrass plant small tufts in a checkerboard pattern as it fills in much better this way.

Back
Top Bottom