New Planted Nano Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up a new planted nano tank. This is my first planted tank although I have four other tanks. They are not planted as they all house species that eat plants like they are going out of style. In this tank, my hope is to be successful with the plants, but I would like to put just a couple neons or perhaps shrimp in it. It's uncovered with twigs sticking out the top. 3 gallons. Any advice?

I would say Shrimp only. 3g is very small for any fish. Maybe a single Scarlet Badis once the RCS are established.

Most fish need groups and a group won't fit in a 3g.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't put CPDs but maybe a small group of micro rasboras.

I would say Shrimp only. 3g is very small for any fish. Maybe a single Scarlet Badis once the RCS are established.

Most fish need groups and a group won't fit in a 3g.

I haven't kept shrimp before. Can I keep them in a tank like mine with branches sticking out of the top and no lid? Here is a pic (still a little cloudy as it's only been set up for less than 24hrs.
Nano Tank.jpg

That's really pretty, another tank that looks larger than its actual size!

I've had nerite snails escape in the past but never shrimp.

Nice start. I like your driftwood! Is that the Eshopps Curve LED? How do you like it? I was thinking about getting it for one of my nano tanks.

Yes it is! I love it. It's bright for the plants and very modern and sleek. Yes you should get one. They are pricey but pretty!

That's really pretty, another tank that looks larger than its actual size!

I've had nerite snails escape in the past but never shrimp.

Thank you! I am pretty proud of it at the moment. Any advice or stories on shrimp, I would welcome. I've never kept shrimp but read lots of online stories of people who have had them crawl out. But since you never have it gives me some hope that a couple cherry shrimp in this little tank would be just the thing!

Yes, I've kept Shrimp in rimless tanks before. What is your pH ?

RCS are the easiest

Good question. It's only been up for a day with just plants so haven't checked yet...LOL. One moment... Ok, WILD!!! It's showing a 6.0!! Here's the thing my tap water comes out at 8.3 or so, so most of my bigger tanks stay around 7.6 or more. I am shocked how quick this dropped off in 24 hours....Hmmmm, thoughts?? advice?? Scary?! Again, I'm in no hurry to add any aquatic life other than plants but wow.

Nice!!!!! It looks great!!! Looks much bigger than 3g!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice!!!!! It looks great!!! Looks much bigger than 3g!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you! I'm pretty jazzed about the live plants, these are my first. Want to try some plants now in my 120gal, but unsure because I keep silver dollars. Most people say they will buzz weed plants. :ermm:

Thank you! I'm pretty jazzed about the live plants, these are my first. Want to try some plants now in my 120gal, but unsure because I keep silver dollars. Most people say they will buzz weed plants. :ermm:

If you feed you SDs plenty of greens and Veggies you can try Anubias.

They might survive.

If you feed you SDs plenty of greens and Veggies you can try Anubias.

They might survive.

Will look into it. Did you happen to see my response to you question about my ph? Wanted to hear you thoughts on that if possible.

Back
Top Bottom