New planted pant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisher12

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been established since January but I recently emptied it and added m.g. putting soil with the same eco complete on top. I have three questions, can I trim 2 week dwarf hairgrass all the way down? My Siamese algea eater keeps uprooting some. Had him for bba and have been struggling to remove him without messing up my plants is why I ask.
Second, I noticed little white worms in the gravel. I thought it was dwarf hairgrass roots, I keep checking for growth and noticed them moving. They are very small and a few mm long I'd say. Or 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Are they harmful? I have had problems keeping guppies, they swell up and sit at surface level, or swim funny bloated without energy. I never figured out why, these be parasites or something that was affecting them?
This tank currently has 1 small leaf fish, a Siamese algea eater, clown pleco, a mystery snail and a bunch of baby snail i don't want

Thanks

Did you get the worms sorted out?

With the guppies it could be water conditions, feed, bacterial / parasites. I'd test water, check food is good quality and in date.

Have not figured either out. I still see the little worms in the gravel bed when looking in the front of the glass below the surface. And the water was fine when I had it tested at a couple places.

Have not figured either out. I still see the little worms in the gravel bed when looking in the front of the glass below the surface. And the water was fine when I had it tested at a couple places.

I kept guppys in my first ever Aquarium and had similar issues. I used to test water every week and it was always spot on. I ended up putting it down to the fish store I brought them from.

The guppys are farmed in enormous ponds and generally carry disease due to the environment they come from. I think you would be more successful buying them from someone who breeds them rather than a store.

Mine would breed like crazy and I found they would have too many fry and they would come out with bent spines etc due to being to crowded in the womb. In the end I got sick of them dying off and breeding so much and got rid of them all lol.

I have considered buying them off aquabid but I did not want to pay $30 or 60 for a fish that a cannot keep alive from the lfs. I've tried multiple stores, some live awhile others don't. I hadn't tried them in several months and just did, two died overnight. Still have six in my ten gallon

Back
Top Bottom