Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Planted set up!!

So I got a stroke of amazing luck and got this aquarium for free! Everything you see lights, chemicals, canister etc and I canít even say how excited I am!

I currently have a 110g planted tank thatís so deep itís impossible to work with and a small 10g I feel thereís no room to expand, but this is perfect!

Since this is my first true planted set up I would love ideas suggestions advice etc. currently I donít have the CO2 set up but would like it in the future, letís start slow though. I plan on placing a branch somewhere in the middle extending out to one side depending on where the tank ends up. I have always wanted a carpet but I know that can be harder to do, and what kind of plants are there that can root in the soil but grow above the water line, other than Anubis. Currently I have wisteria in my 110g that I plan to put somewhere in the back.

Iím so excited!!!!!! Please any advice, tips things to do or not to do with a tank like this would be great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1523928624.929679.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	308484

Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am not the plant guy but nice tank !
I enjoy when plants and hardscape come out of the water.
The background above the tank is sweet.

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you. I read somewhere that people will sometimes put miracle grow down and cover it with a heavy substrate, I think I like that idea because itís cheaper and it contains all the nutrients as well, plus itís softer soil for the roots
Old 04-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

You are referring to a dirted tank. It provides ample nutrients for the plants. But plants can grow in plain sand as well.
Lower light plants such as anubias and java fern are a good place to start. Carpets required decent lighting and almost always a consistent source of CO2.
That is a very interesting tank.
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Planted set up!!

One main question I have is if I place a piece of wood in the water with some of it sticking out above the water line will it make the room smell? I know if I take my drift wood out of my planted tank itís reeks but those are fully submerged
Old Today, 09:21 AM   #6
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenjl13 View Post
One main question I have is if I place a piece of wood in the water with some of it sticking out above the water line will it make the room smell? I know if I take my drift wood out of my planted tank itís reeks but those are fully submerged
I've seen plenty of tanks with the wood sticking out, never heard complaints.... No first hand experience but I think it should be fine.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant, planted, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com