New Planted set up!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got a stroke of amazing luck and got this aquarium for free! Everything you see lights, chemicals, canister etc and I can’t even say how excited I am!

I currently have a 110g planted tank that’s so deep it’s impossible to work with and a small 10g I feel there’s no room to expand, but this is perfect!

Since this is my first true planted set up I would love ideas suggestions advice etc. currently I don’t have the CO2 set up but would like it in the future, let’s start slow though. I plan on placing a branch somewhere in the middle extending out to one side depending on where the tank ends up. I have always wanted a carpet but I know that can be harder to do, and what kind of plants are there that can root in the soil but grow above the water line, other than Anubis. Currently I have wisteria in my 110g that I plan to put somewhere in the back.

I’m so excited!!!!!! Please any advice, tips things to do or not to do with a tank like this would be great.

IMG_1523928624.929679.jpg

I am not the plant guy but nice tank !
I enjoy when plants and hardscape come out of the water.
The background above the tank is sweet.

Thank you. I read somewhere that people will sometimes put miracle grow down and cover it with a heavy substrate, I think I like that idea because it’s cheaper and it contains all the nutrients as well, plus it’s softer soil for the roots

You are referring to a dirted tank. It provides ample nutrients for the plants. But plants can grow in plain sand as well.
Lower light plants such as anubias and java fern are a good place to start. Carpets required decent lighting and almost always a consistent source of CO2.
That is a very interesting tank.

One main question I have is if I place a piece of wood in the water with some of it sticking out above the water line will it make the room smell? I know if I take my drift wood out of my planted tank it’s reeks but those are fully submerged

One main question I have is if I place a piece of wood in the water with some of it sticking out above the water line will it make the room smell? I know if I take my drift wood out of my planted tank it’s reeks but those are fully submerged

I've seen plenty of tanks with the wood sticking out, never heard complaints.... No first hand experience but I think it should be fine.

If I put soil down and sand on top will the sand be heavy enough to old down the soil? I just really like the look of sand

So I decided to use all Fluval and settled on some smaller pieces of wood for now

I’m going to place transfer my 10g into this tank so I’m transferring plants and other pieces over as the week goes to help with B.B., and all my plants come in tomorrow. Sooo excited!

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 121
If I put soil down and sand on top will the sand be heavy enough to old down the soil? I just really like the look of sand

Yes, you just need to put an inch or so of sand or fine gravel over the soil and to be careful when adding/removing plants to disturb the soil as little as possible. Otherwise, it can get very messy.

Since you're not planning to use CO2 at first, I'd stick with low-light plants, such as anubias, java fern, bolbitis, bucephalandra, &c. They'll do well in that environment and you'll have a beautiful tank. Also, though, with these plants you won't need to bother with a dirted tank, since they're not major root feeders.

Live aquaria has a starter kit of plants I’m going to order as well as an African fern from Aquatic Arts

IMG_0155.jpg IMG_0154.jpg

Finished planting and it’s been running for a week with a couple hundred scuds making themselves at home!

Just added Mr. Inigo and once the scuds are fully dug in and the tank is ready I plan on adding some Peacock Gudeons and Cory’s!

IMG_0155.jpg

Updated with plants now, as time goes on I will add some more to fill in the space.

Here’s an updated picture with some more growth a month later and the tank is cycled nicely with scuds swimming around everywhere!

I’m so excited I get my Black Tiger Badis’s tomorrow so after they sit in quarantine for a couple weeks they will be fat and happy in the new tank!

The pictures of the Badis are from the place I ordered them from!!!!! Can’t wait!

54844336578__971F3B20-CC20-43D2-A137-F8F8E6023385.jpg
IMG_0202.jpg

that is a cool looking tank. have you thought about having water pumped up to the top of the background then have it trickle down like a water fall or runoff? i think that would look neat with maybe some moss or creeping jenny hanging down towards the water. i really like those fish. they are beautiful. ill be keeping an eye on this tank :)

Back
Top Bottom