new planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pantherspawn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm switching my 40 gallon around next week and trying to make it more of a planted tank. I'm removing the fake waterfall and bonsai tree and adding in actual plants. I ordered shat I bekeive are all low light plants including 3 varieties of anubias, a crypto, some bamboo, corckscrew, mondo grass, and dwarf clover looking things, can't remember the name. I'm also adding a few small mopani driftwood pieces and some river rock and slate formations. My question is, I only have the standard light fixture that came with the tank. I have no clue what the specs are because i bought it used and the lady just put a bulb in for me. Its got a single bulb with a blue/purple hue to it. But is it going to be enough lighting for the plants? I don't plan on doing the co2 in the tank and will be adding eco complete as the substrate. Also, for a 40gal bowed tank, is ten or 12 plants going to abbey a good amount to start with and keep the Bio in check?

I found this out after getting them from PETCO. But they add in my current tank and seem to be doing well with nothing but fish waste as nutrients. Ad for the new plants coming, will I need to buy another hood or different bulb or will the stock single bulb be sufficient for low might plants? The unnamed plants is dwarf baby tears. Going to attach it and some bank to the drift wood. And hope that the baby tears eventually carpet over time.

Not too long. About a month or so. I've replanted a few sprouts from the bamboo and they seem fine as well. The bamboo has "root" formations starting all over the place. And its also rooted pretty firm in the gravel below.

hmmm, is the top out of the water? It is a semi aquatic plant.

The mondo grass on the other hand... it will stay green for awhile, but it will definitely not survive long term.

Nope they're completely submerged other than when I do a large pwc and then only get air for a few minutes. The only plants I have in there now not doing well is the corcskcew and I think thats because my pleco was eating them. I can remove any plants not doing well that's not a biggie. Just want to be sure I do the things I'm supposed to as far as setting them up properly. Because I'm not planning on co2, should I still remove any bubblers or air stones when I add in the new plants and substrate? And am I going to need a new hood or light setup?

If you arent running CO2, the air stone will be just fine. If you like it you can keep it.

For the lighting, need some additional info... but if it has been a month and you are seeing some growth, it is probably fine for lower light plants. Check out the bulb and see if you can find the wattage and the color temperature. I am assuming it is T8 florescent lamp?

That's the thing. I have no clue. I pulled out the bulb. Has no markings on it whatsoever. Its an 18 inch florescent with a blue white or purple white hue. If I were to just go buy another bulb to be on the safe side, what's would you reccommend?

well... I would say if it seems to be working, stick with it. Florescent bulbs are not like incandescents in that you can go out and by a more powerful bulb. The wattage is standard. The only thing you can really effect is the color temperature of the bulb (which can help you achieve the correct spectrum of light).

Without more info, there isn't much I can tell you except that if you are seeing healthy growth, than you are good to go. What I can tell you is that if you bought a new fixture, like a dual T5HO, you would see more growth, and could grow a wider variety of plants... but it might also mean more work, potentially more algae, and the necessity to dose fertilizers.

i am thinking about buying a coralife fixture that has 10k and a actinic bulb, both at 54 watts. does the actinic count towards the watt per gallon mark? i really dont want to have to supliment in co2. would like to stay with the low light setup at first and them maybe add more down the road once i gain more experience.

also, any input on the newer marineland led lighting systems when it comes to use with plants? are they of any use at all being only a 1 watt led?

I have the marine capable and it works well. Only problem is the light doesn't disburse well if your tank is wide. I've covered the blue actinic lights for a pure white 10,000k look. I spoke to marineland and they said it would not harm the fixture b/c the light transfers through the top and not the bulbs. Shop online, I bought the 48"/60" for $350. Local retailer is selling for $450+.

Back
Top Bottom