New planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khrlkg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a aqualife t5ho light with the following light bulbs
1)t5 ho purple 54w
2)t5 ho420/460 54w
3)t5 ho 10,000k 54w
4)t5 ho420/460 54w

I've also put in for social Ada power sand followed by 1bag Amazonia reg sand the followed by 1 bag of the Amazonia powder as a top layer

My question is I am new to the whole planted tank as I've always had silk plants and pediments as I'm looking for a more natural look

I've always liked the long looking grass type plants but what's good starter plants ??
And 4 led blue night lights

I've

Those bulbs are actually for saltwater reef tanks. You need bulbs preferably around the 6700K range. You can keep the one 10000K to add a brighter light but the rest needs to be replaced.

What is the size and depth of the tank because a 4 light T5HO fixture is alot alot of light. Probably too much for your tank unless your going to run CO2 and daily ferts. You will most likely only need to run 2 of the bulbs.

I was told when I bought this light that it was for freshwater and the box was marked freshwater t5ho
What should my lights be then ?

I have a fluval 40g co2 with a diffuser that I can add into the tank aswell , just yet to add my plants as I don't know enough yet (I'm going to be transferring my angles 7 of em 5 pladys and 1pleco into it -might but some algea shrimp aswell )

You can look up the bulbs but will find all but the 10000K are for saltwater, actually reef tanks. I used to have reef tanks. Plant bulbs usually are around the 6000K to 6700K but can be up to 10000 to achieve good plant growth.

Here is a link to the light fixture I think you have and note they say Marine. Either your box was mismarked or the store sold you the wrong one.

Forgot to tell you can just buy the correct bulbs. The big metal halide-T5HO Coralife fixture I got was for saltwater and I had to change out my bulbs. I just ordered the correct bulbs with the fixture.

Back
Top Bottom