New Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I will be picking up a 55 gallon this weekend with an overflow box built in and ready. I plan on this actually being a planted aquarium. What I would LIKE to do is a straight lawn (maybe a few larger plants behind) and have large pieces of driftwood coming out of the lawn.

The species of grass I am looking at is Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. Any other suggestions? Plus I have NOT bought my lighting yet. Where should I look and what should I get?

Thanks for you help.

Many of the lawn-type planrs will want pretty high light, but micro-swords are a nice choice. Other choices include Echinodorus tenellus and Monosolenium tenerum, although the latter will need to be able to anchor itself to some porous rockwork. Of course, you can always go the Amano way and do some submerged riccia.

are there any grasses that this guy/gal can use that dont require as much light?.. I think that is what he/she wants.. I think miro-swords look a little like grass but.... Im not sure it will be the desired effect..

I suggest using dwarf sags (Sagittaria subulata) as a carpet plant. It does better in high light but mine grows perfectly well under as little as 1.5 wpg. I have it growing in three of my tanks now. Another plant that is more grass like is Lileaopsis novaezelandiae but it requires much more light. I would suggest at least 110W of lighting for this tank and 165W if possible. That amount of light would definitely require CO2 injection.

dwarf sag is a good choice. so is aquatic clover (which I have some for sale btw :wink: ). Nether which require really high light. Monoselenium is suppose to be too, I just got some and it seems to be living so far.

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?3=107

you might want to look here for lighting also. I would get around 2.5 wpg, that should be plenty for almost any plants.
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25

and if youre interested in co2, take a look at this site
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/PR1026.html

HTH

dwarf sag. does tend to get 4 times as tall as microsword or dwarf hairgrass, but it grows like a weed and will carpet in half the time. I agree 1.5wpg is what dwarf sag. would need to really flourish.

Thanks guys. Some great stuff there! I really dont mind going with a high light output, I just need to know where to look to get the right one. I was hoping I would get away with not buying a CO2 kit, but it looks like that won't be possible. But could I get away with purchasing the kit later after the plants grow more? Also, has anyone ever pumped the CO2 into their sump instead of directly into the tank?

Ebay is a great place to look for lighting. I bought the lighting for my 55 gallon tank there and have been very pleased. Right now I am at 2 WPG but I have the option to go up to 4 WPG if I used the other two lights. But, I don't have the CO2 in place so it is a nice way to get started without jumping in all at once.

You'll probably want to go with CO2 out of the gate if you're going to use high lighting. High lights without CO2 is a recipe for algae. CO2 allows your plants to out-compete the algae for available nutrients in a high light environment.

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis makes a great lawn but you'll need to keep your nutrients well balanced because it has a tendency to attract algae. When you buy it it will most likely be in emersed growth form (long, pale green, and sort of wide-bladed). It will revert to submersed growth form (darker green and narrow-bladed, much like the grass in your front yard) over the course of the first month or two you have it in your tank . You can trim it short or let it grow long and the best part is it's sort of a slow grower so it doesn't require a lot of maintenance. It is invasive however so you'll want to keep an eye on it to prevent it from spreading where you don't want it :)

You can buy it either in 1/2 to 1 square foot chunks if you plan on planting a large area, or buy it as individual bunches which you can plant in a checkerboard pattern and allow to fill in. Personally I like buying it as a big chunk of sod and cutting it to fit because, IME, the growth will be much denser and lawn-like.

Thanks for you help guys! with all of the information you guys were able to give me I think I have a good plan going now.

Man . . . I love this forum.

Back
Top Bottom