New planted tank - Bunched plant foul!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
The stem plants like Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Althernanthera roseafolia start getting weak/wabbly. The plants come loose from the gravel and float on top :evil: .

Is there any way to prevent that? Do they lack some nutrients or is that normal? I remeber in my 55 I had before they did that too right at the beginning. But only very few survived.
Anybody any ideas?

It sounds to me like you don't have enough light. I would try bunch plants that require less lighting.

You might also have emersed growth specimens that need some time to revert to submersed growth form. I've seen emersed growth stems rot when submerged. It might just be a matter of time. The Hygro should be fine at that wattage, the L. repens might be OK, and I've never had much luck with Alternanthera at any light levels :p

Well, I tested my water today:
gH 8, kH 6, pH ~7.3, Ammonia 2mg/l

I also redid the CO2 mixture today, since I didn't have any bubbles since the day before yesterday.
I have 4x 2l bottles with 1 3/4cups sugar, warm tap water, 3/4tsp yeast.

We have some kind of little faucet filter, so I thought it's ok. Could I also use dechlorinator (e.g.Prime)? Buying water from the grocery store will get expensive for the yeast too. All that sugar and everything, I could just as well buy a professional system.

If you didn't have bubbles in 48hrs. something went wrong. Chlorinated water is a no-no. Prime might work, you might need to replace your faucet filter or try a different type. You might have gotten bad yeast. The drinking water is usually $1-1.50 a gallon for the store brand so try a mix with that water and one with your tap water and fresh yeast (check the expiration date) and you should find your problem. DIY CO2 probably balances out costwise with pressurised in a year or two when the initial cost of the eqiupment is overcome by the DIY supplies so in the long run pressurised is LESS expensive than DIY. :D

Of course there are no fishes in the tank. I just started cycling!

I redid the CO2 mixtures again yesterday and now it works. I have like super CO2 now. Well, I guess I still got to do some figuring what mixture will work best :wink: .

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend you. Glad to hear there are no fish. I use 3 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast, and 1/2 tsp of baking soda in my two liter bottles. Lasts 3 weeks, I usually change them after 2 weeks just to be on the safe side.

It's ok, you didn't offend me.
I can understand your point. I also overreact sometimes when I think somebody misstreats their fish. They tell you they did sooo much research and know everything, but really they don't have much of a clue. :eyes: I don't say e.g. I already know everything.

That I just always seem to be one of those is starting to wear me out :roll: .

Back
Top Bottom