New planted tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dandy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to start up a planted freshwater tank. I'd like to give it an amazon river theme. I plan on getting one of the twelve gallon nano-cubes, some driftwood, a few plants, and waiting for it to cycle before adding any fish. I would like a rough idea of how many plants should be in a tank this size. I have selected a few varieties I would like to have, I just need to know how many will fit. The plants I am thinking of getting are:
Java Moss
Petite nana
Water Sprite
Java Fern
Dwarf Sagittaria
Anacharis
Wisteria Temp

These are all low light tolerant, and the nano-cube puts out 2 wpg, so they should do well. Once the plants are in and stabilized, I will start adding the fish.

I want one or two dwarf catfish, either corys or otocinclus, a school of five neon tetras, and a pair of showier fish. Something like dwarf neon rainbows, or ram cichlids.

My specific questions are: Is there anything in this setup that won't work well together? Do I have space for a couple ghost shrimp? Does eco-complete plant substrate need gravel on top of it? Is it best to get plants locally, or should I just order them online with the aquarium? What size and brand of heater should I get for this tank?

Eco-Complete: "It is designed to be a complete substate but may also serve as a bottom layer with your choice of non-carbonate substrate on top (do not use marble, dolomite, limestone, crushed coral, shells aragonite etc.)" (http://www.aquariumguys.com/ecocomplete.html)

Where to Buy: I found a much greater plant supply/selection online than locally, and if you're already paying shipping for the cube, and can get the plants from the same location, why not get it all at once? The plants won't mind waiting a few hours while you get the aquarium set up.

How Much to Buy: This is a question of patience. Do you want this to look like an ammano aquarium on Day 1? Then you need to get plentiful supplies of plants and thickly plant them. The longer you are willing to wait, the less you need to buy. Either way, if the aquarium is healthy, you will eventually reach the point where you have too much greenery and have to trim some out and toss/sell it.

Ghost Shrimp: I would definately include Ghost Shrimp. They will help keep the aquarium clean.

Compatibilities: I personally have had bad experience trying to mix cichlids with any other species, besides the fact that they like to dig, and will dig up your plants. I don't know much about rainbows, the neons and catfish sound good.

Jim Dandy said:
Is there anything in this setup that won't work well together?
I think that all the species you mentioned would do fine together. It might become a space issue, though, depending on how many dwarf cats, cory/otos, and tetras you get. Beware the 1"/gallon rule . . .
Jim Dandy said:
Do I have space for a couple ghost shrimp?
I would think that, at the current price of ghost shrimp, you would do well to try them out! I figure, "why not?"
Jim Dandy said:
Does eco-complete plant substrate need gravel on top of it?
nope!

Hope I helped :D
Jim Dandy said:
Is it best to get plants locally, or should I just order them online with the aquarium?
Neither. The best possible way is to "purchase" them from regular aquarists, some of whom frequent this site! check out the bargain/trade and classifieds forums on AA! If you can't find them there, most of the online sources are pretty reliable and price-competitive to the LFS.
Jim Dandy said:
What size and brand of heater should I get for this tank?
You will want at least a 50 watt heater, there are lots of good brands but they are never the cheapest :) I'd suggest a completely submersable one, they are just easier and more pleasing to the eye :wink:

The best possible way is to "purchase" them from regular aquarists, some of whom frequent this site! check out the bargain/trade and classifieds forums on AA!

You may have seen the "PlantXchange" sticky at the top of this forum. This was born out of what WFTM refers to. As a matter of fact, I just sent a load of anacharis out and will continue to do so. Check the Barter/Trade forum often, you may see some incredible deals.

I just have to add that I keep dwarf gouramis with a school of neons in my 29 gallon. The colors are amazing when you put them together. Plus an angel and the yoyo loaches add a lot personality. Most entertaining tank I have put together...but back to YOUR tank! Yes, dwarf gouramis and neons look great together.

Ghost shrimp are fun to watch, cheap, good cleaners, and don't add a significant amount to the bio load.

Edit: Whoops...just noticed that you didn't mention dwarf gouramis. My statement still stands! :)

Thanks for all the replies. I like the look of dwarf gouramis, but they seem like they might be a bit large. I'm planning on adding the 'centerpiece' fish last anyway, so I've got a while to make up my mind.

I think a pair of the German Blue Rams would look nice in there. I don't believe they are diggers like some of the other cichlids, and are best kept in a stable planted tank.

Lonewolfblue's operative word is "stable", as rams can be very sensitive to water fluctuation! But a VERY cool fish that stays small.

Back
Top Bottom