new plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, in my experience with adding plants i have always noticed that when i add them, they always have a few leaves that begin to turn yellow and brown in spots and die. And some leaves even turn slimy... i have always just assumed this was normal due to the transportation from the store to my tank. Am i correct in assuming this? it takes plants a little while to get used to a new tank? i just want to make sure that its just a transition and that my plants aren't actually dying. Thank you!

i have just been removing those leaves that are turning all yellow and slimy...hopefully I'm doing this correctly. any advice would be awesome.

I really don't know much about planted tanks but what kind of plants do u have and do u have sufficient lighting for them?? I don't think they should be turning brown..

Have you got any photos of the new plant? That sounds like it could be a non aquatic plant I'm afraid :( there are a few plants that will kind of melt when you first put them in, but I'd need to see a photo or have a description of the plant to be certain Which. in the meantime you are doing the correct thing by removing the yellow and slimey leaves.

In my experience this has happened to me too, but I think it's the plants just getting used to the new lights. This would happen to me for about a week before it looked green again lol. You're plants should be fine:)

i shall take some pics and let you guys be the judge..... I'm also noticing some algae growth that I'm hoping you guys can identify and help me solve...thank you :) pics up momentarily.

There are a lot of different plants that will do this as they get used to the differences in the water/lighting conditions... it's called "melt". Usually you should just cut off the decaying leaves and if all goes well, new ones will begin to grow soon.

Here are the photos.... any advice on the tank would be awesome...you'll notice the algae on the dwarf hairgrass as well as the cypt plant leaves in the background.... those plants i have had for a few months now the new ones are the ones in the back left, as well as the one in the front left.... there is also some water sprite and some java fern.... i was given those so i just added them a day or so ago.... let me know

Attachments

• P1010490.JPG
    P1010490.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010491.JPG
    P1010491.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010492.JPG
    P1010492.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010493.JPG
    P1010493.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 96
here are some more....

Attachments

• P1010495.JPG
    P1010495.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010496.JPG
    P1010496.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010497.JPG
    P1010497.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010498.JPG
    P1010498.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 85
one more..... thanks and hopefully you all can help me out

Attachments

• P1010499.JPG
    P1010499.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 65
Crypts are notorious for "melt", but as long as they get enough light and nutrients, they should bounce back.

Those plants look pretty good to me... however I'm not sure if all of them have the same requirements (amount of light, hard vs. soft water, etc.) I would suggest that you just trim off the yellowing/slimy leaves as they occur. You will figure out fairly quickly which plants "like" their environment and which ones don't. You can read about each type of plant online to learn what types of requirements each of them have.

You can also look into different types of lighting and different types of fertilizers to improve the growth of your plants, but that can get pretty complicated! Getting the right balance of light and fertilizer will also help you get rid of your algae problem. Java ferns are my favorite plants because they do well in hard water with low light, which makes things easy for me.

I hope this was somewhat helpful! I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous!!

:) Amy

Ive got exactly the same algae as you. I did have my lights on for about 10-12 hours a day to encourage algae growth for my otos, but recently it started growing the hairy algae instead. I cut my lighting down to four hours on, four hours off and its helped to slow it down but hasn't got rid of it yet :/ I think mine is mostly because I've started co2 and ferts and haven't got the right balance yet. My plants are growing really well, but I just need to fix the algae now. II'll be paying close attention to the answers you get.

I agree about the crypts, I thought I killed mine somehow but they did bounce back. I thought I saw some staghorn algae, I'd that is the case some Florida flag fish will help, they helped me tank. As for the brown leaves I trim the worst ones and keep an eye on them. Also, keep an eye out for new leaves, that's usually a good sign. :)

Back
Top Bottom