New plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ursi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some new plants today, do I have to take them out the pots or can I leave them in them?

image-1958597108.jpg

image-2647180247.jpg

Thanks

Sadly the one with white on the leaves is not an aquarium plant even though it is sold as one. Its a white ribbon plant and its slowly dying, leading to water parameter problems. For the other one though i would definetly reccomend taking it out of the pot!

Aqueonevolve4 said:
Sadly the one with white on the leaves is not an aquarium plant even though it is sold as one. Its a white ribbon plant and its slowly dying, leading to water parameter problems. For the other one though i would definetly reccomend taking it out of the pot!

Ive hade the wite ribbon plant for a couple of months already and its been doing fine hasnt died off or anything ..?

They are semi-aquatic plants and will eventually rot and foul up the water. If you read the tubes they sell them in, they are clearly labeled semi-aquatic. They are meant to have submerged roots only.

I would remove it from my tank if it were me but to each their own.

They don't sell them in tubes here they just have them in open tanks.. I didn't realise they were semi aquatic.. Ill take the others out the pots then thanks its just got this weird foam stuff the roots are tangled in and I'm worried about snapping all the roots off..
Thanks for your replies

meegosh said:
They are semi-aquatic plants and will eventually rot and foul up the water. If you read the tubes they sell them in, they are clearly labeled semi-aquatic. They are meant to have submerged roots only.

I would remove it from my tank if it were me but to each their own.

Damm … so basicaly its just a plant say like a bush ? ,has that happen to you that u know it will rot??

They don't sell them in tubes here they just have them in open tanks.. I didn't realise they were semi aquatic

That's interesting... were they submerged in water when you bought them?

Damm … so basicaly its just a plant say like a bush ? ,has that happen to you that u know it will rot??

Yes, I bought one years and years ago and found out the hard way.

It would do very good in a pot on your window sill though! :)

meegosh said:
Yes, I bought one years and years ago and found out the hard way.

It would do very good in a pot on your window sill though! :)

Ahh damm that sux ha …, alright then i rater take it out then find out the hard way ha .. Would i need to plant it in a pot or just in a small vase with water… ?

Lol I shall do that then and go get some more of the potted plants instead, ill have to check that they're cat friendly first - made that mistake before too lol

Get a vase with some rocks and fill it up with water!! Iy should do fine! As for the white crap around the other plant, it just takes sone patience getting it off of the roots but some broken roots arent to bad!

You know I was really peeved that my lfs did the same thing to me, he even recommended "Brazilian Sword" over amazon, said it was easier for most people to grow. Then I get on here and am told it is semi-aquatic-- sure enough it is totally unfit for my tank in the long-term.

Back
Top Bottom