New Plants are dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bgkf1996

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need help recently I bought new plants but they always die my fish are healthy and happy but I wish I could plant up my tank any tips :(

Also what kind of plants are you using, if purchased from PetCo/ PetsMart they aren't all truely aquatic plants.

Craig

they might be melting this generally happens to some plants when transplanted into a diff./new tank and they will start growing back...........

+1 for info..........

from petco, only the following are the best aquatic plants............
amazon swords
crypts
mosses
rotalas
anubias

the others like the combo aren't truely aquatic^

Your Plant Question

Good morning Ruairi...

Amazon swords are typically low to medium light plants. If you're using the lighting that came with the tank, that's only for viewing the tank, not growing plants. Fish don't care about lighting, but your Swords need a 6500 K, T8 for tall tanks, T12 for a wider one.

Depending on the volume of your tank, a 17 watt bulb will work for a small 30 G and 32 to 40 watt for a larger 45 to 55 G tank. Much larger tanks will need multiple bulbs.

Large water changes of at least 50 percent weekly and some fish are needed to provide the plants with macro nutrients and you need to dose a commercial fert in dry, granule or liquid form for the micro nutrients.

Provide these for your Swords and they'll start to improve.

B

Back
Top Bottom