Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yikes 8O That was a little harsh.

Look, I didn't go in depth into your problem, I just noticed that you were both using different units of measure. Since you weren't doing it blinding, but monitoring your ph and kh changes, then you are correct it doesn't matter. Good luck.

29 Gal Planted, 1.2 wpg, Estes Gravel
gfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

They make tests that test for CO2 directly. Rather than use the chart try testing directly. In my case, the CO2 direct test usually is within a few PPM of the chart readings.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, I think I may have found the problem. My wife, bless her heart, (she hasn't had a planted tank before.), said she added a cap full of stress coat on the last water change. I was out of town and she couldn't reach me to ask. (my fault) So I looked at the stress coat bottle, "Neutralizes heavy metals" Could this be the cause? I just checked my PH kit and it seems to be accurate. on my tap water. 6.0. Added a pinch of baking soda to the glass and it shot to 7.6
Old 10-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

That can not be the problem.

The chemical formula for baking soda is NaHCO3. It does not contain any heavy metals (copper, lead, mercury, chromium, cadmium, arsenic, etc.).
Old 10-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Have you considered turning down your CO2 (if its preasureized turn down the bubble count and if it DIY bleed off some of the CO2 being produced)?
I would assume you have that much CO2.. (work with the what is maybe the least likely, I dont think its impossible by the way you can still have plenty of O2 in the water and have high CO2 consentrations, yet workable problem)
Old 10-08-2005, 10:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Greenmaji is correct.
CO2 does not substitute O2 in the water like it does in the air, so you could still have lots of O2.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #17

Hmm....very good advice, never even occurred to me about the O2...I'll get right on it and let you guys know.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

There is no pH controller?

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I wasnt trying to say that really high CO2 cant have a bad effect on your fish, I was asumming that your fish have only been exposed to it for a couple of days tops and that there is time to fix it before the ill effects of high CO2 take in.. HTH

Ive read about high CO2 causing very strange behavior in fish, if it continues you might see something strange.. like vertical fish. I hope you get the problem sloved in time
Old 10-09-2005, 07:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by czcz
There is no pH controller?
On the Christmas list with the wife! 8)

Well, I bumped the BPM WAY down yesterday as soon as I read your advice. Today is WC day so, we'll see what happens. I'm only gonna do about 25% and I'm gonna do it really slow because I have now gotten my tanks PH to 6.7 and the kh still tests at 11. But the tap water here is 6.0 at 1 deg. KH I'm hoping to bring the KH down a bit but still have it at a good buffering capacity, say 5 or better, but still keep my PH as close to 7 as possible. The scary thing about acidics is the dilution rate needed to neutralize them. When I was in HazMat technician school, I learned that to bring the PH of 1 gallon of sulfuric acid to a PH of 6 would require around 16,819,200 gallons of water, depending on the PH of the water. 8O Just a little trivia.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com