New substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allanhep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have now put a base layer of tetra complete substrate and a top layer of seachem flourite red. Just waiting on the aquarium settling I have also added a tri-spec led light unit 38w and I am looking in to plants there is also no info on wither I should be running the blue leds with the white and red or just white and red on there own. I was wanting a carpet plant for the front of the tank and just going to buy a bulk pack of plants from plants alive im also looking to dose the aquarium with seachem flourish excel as I don't have the resources to run a pressurised system. Is there any carpet plants that will grow in flourite red with my lighting and dosing with excel.

Check out marsilea minuta I have no experience growing carpet without CO2, I tried with Glosso and failed. CO2 is, in my opinion, the driving factor in keeping carpeting plants as a carpet.

Depending on your tank size, you can also achieve a carpet like effect using:
sagittaria subulata
lilaeopsis spp.
helanthium spp.
staurogyne repens
cryptocoryne parva
cryptocoryne lutea "hobbit"
cryptocoryne nana

These should do OK without CO2, but the will need to be trimmed/replanted/reproduced and manually placed to get you the carpet style growth.

Back
Top Bottom