New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I just set up my tank today. It was a kit that I bought at Petsmart. In the kit I got the tank topfin 40 filter, 200w heater hood with LED lighting I have a standard gravel nothing special. It is a 37g tall. I do have some fake plants until I could get the real ones established, but I did the add real plants today too. I have no idea what the lighting is that I have I just checked the box again it just says includes LED lighting. I am just wondering after reading other posts if I am doing this right or if I need to get anything else to keep the plants healthy and growing well? Here is what I have so far.
3 Amazon swords
5 green ludwigia cuttings
1 java fern
1 Water wisteria
I keep seeing where people are using CO2 and I don't have a clue how to use it or where to get it if I need it. How do I now if I need it? If I have the plants I shouldn't use the ammonia to cycle. If I have enough of the plants just add fish, don't add fish. Let's just say I am really confused! 15 years ago when I had a planted tank I just put the plants in and the grew like gang busters. Everything I used to do seems like it is all wrong now. But it worked before. I had good water parameters, healthy huge fish and goreous growing plants. Now I am just lost. Help!!!!

Congrats on the new aquarium. Most of those kits come with LEDs that are good for fish-only, or low light tolerant live plants at best. The good news is that low light means no co2 needed. However, Amazon Swords are heavy root feeders and gravel will do nothing for them. I suggest getting root tabs and place one under each sword. The other plants will benefit from a good liquid fertilizer. I suggest getting Seachem Flourish and Excel and just dose according to instructions on the bottles. Invest in a timer for your light so that you have a consistent photoperiod for your plants.

Thank you so much I was planing on upgrading the lights and hood. It's just a starter and I did want better lights so hopefully I can get a better understanding of all of this before I upgrade so I can keep them growing well.
Should I cycle it or should I add fish now I am really confused about that part too.

Definitely cycle... there's some info articles on that linked in the homepage here on AA. Plus if you need help, you can always ask questions in the "getting started" sub forum. If you want to expedite the cycle process, you can use Tetra Safe Start to help seed the beneficial bacteria. Then you'll need an ammonia source to get the BB thriving. You can stock with 1 or 2 hardy fish if you want to do a fish-in cycle. I'd get either zebra danios (regular or glofish variety) or cherry barbs to help..

Also get an API freshwater master test kit to start testing your water parameters through the cycling process.

Back
Top Bottom