New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleV87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Getting a new tank next week. Guy tried to sell it to me a while back and I wasn't that interested. He called me today and said its FREE if I want it and he'll bring it to work for me too. ?
This is a 55 with nice wood stand and not scratched up either. Gonna bring the daylight lights he had too.
Question: he had a lizard in it. Is there any precautionary issues I should be concerned with as far as using for fish now. I would think a good vinegar cleaning would suffice or maybe a little 1/19 bleach wash and then rinse.
What ya think?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Score!!

Just a prewash for it should be fine and make sure it holds water lol.

Any ideas for it yet??

Caleb

Awesome find! This was probably sold as a reptile tank to him and reptile tanks have very n sealing with silicone so I would go back over it with some more silicone, and then make sure it passes the leak test. what about a giant planted tank with some nice big fish? Maybe some oddballs like an elephant nose? Now THAT would be cool :)

Actually I was thinkin about setting up a nicely planted tank that I might be able to get a good carpet in and some higher light plants that are more difficult in my 90. Being shorter by 3" will make a big difference I believe.
My plan was to buy me a 40L after my sons wedding next week but I guess this would work.
Gonna move slow though and plan!
(At least that's the plan now....lol)

Picked these up today and getting ready to set up my 20 long.
Gonna throw a few plants at it and get it started up.
More plants and fish later. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443906723.076664.jpg

So much disappointment yesterday when I got the tank and unwrapped it to find it had chips in the corner of it.
Gotta wait till Wednesday to carry it back when they get some more in. ?

Good news. New tank was picked up a few days ago.
Started the cycling with some seeding from the 90 gal. Same day.
I picked up a few goodies today along with 8 Neon Tetra's I did not want. But my wife did....so now I want them too.....lol
They will be replaced with Cardinal Tetra's soon enough.
I picked up some DW, a new light, and a glass top.
I also picked up some Temple plant, bronze crypt, and DHG.
Not sure about the crypt or the temple but we'll see.
I would rather have star repens, some sort of macandra, maybe some moss for the DW.
If you have some plants to get rid of that would compliment a 20L let me know what ya got.
Basically I need help....lol

Temple plant is probably hygrophila corymbosa. Pretty but nutrient sucking plant.

Glad to see things are going!

Caleb

I read that it really likes the ferts.
I gotta do some shopping for some new plants.....lol

Time for an update. Im sure I lost some people now that I look back at this thread. I swapped from a 55 gallon I picked up for free to a 20L I bought.
Sorry for the confusion but I decided to go with the 20L and ditch the 55.

I now have the 20L setup with Eco-Complete for bottom.
I put a 24"-30" Satellite Pro + light on it (y)
Filter is an AC50. (Was helpful having the support on this decision...Thanks)
The following plants: Staurogyne Repens, Porto Velho, Rotala Macandra, Cuphea Anagalloidea, Rotalla Ramsoir Sunset, Temple plant, Bronze Crypt, and DHG.
Not really diggin the Crypt in this tank though.
Added a dozen Cardinal Tetras Friday and now ready for a pair of GBR's.
Really looked hard at the Electric Gold Rams when I picked up my Cardinal Tetra's. Hard to walk away :banghead:

Now looking into a DIY CO2 setup for this tank. Any recommendations or heads up on the DIY setups? who's do you use and how well does it work?

Couple of pics of what I have so far.
Top View
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446535552.118348.jpg

Side view
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446535628.362068.jpg

12 Lil Buddies
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446535680.601737.jpg

That's all I have so far.

In the DIY CO2 setup can the bottles be placed under the cabinet?
I haven't seen what type of head pressure the setup is capable of overcoming.
If I did this for my 20L I would need to overcome about 3' of head pressure.

I have had co2 bottles at water level get water to flow backwards into the bottle So unless you have something preventing that i would say its a risk.

I have had co2 bottles at water level get water to flow backwards into the bottle So unless you have something preventing that i would say its a risk.

I would have to ask why no check valves as well?

Added a couple new plants to the 20L and rearranged the scape a little.
I like it and gonna grow it out if I can.
Added pogostemon erectus, pogostemon octopus, Rotala colorata, and some red root floaters.
Thanks to Fresh20 for the beautiful and healthy plants! Way more than I expected so I had to put some of them in the 90 gallon. Hope those EBA's leave them alone.
Just finished a PWC. This was the 1st one since set up a week ago.
I I gotta get my DIY co2.

Thanks Caleb!
The Porto Velho, DHG, and the Staur repens have all started melting over the last couple days. All of it hasn't so I think it will all bounce back (fingers crossed).
The DW is still cleaning up. Had it all cleaned off and it's doing this mucky stuff coming off of some more of it. I've heard that this clears itself after time.
Here's a pic from today.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447093944.869819.jpg
And a long shot
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447093976.568410.jpg
GBR's next and then co2. ?

Back
Top Bottom