Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New tank, a little help please.

I have some easy plants in the tank, anubias and some others I forgot what. Anyways still cycling the tank, going to get dwarf puffers (and more plants too). Its a 20 gal. As soon as I put the plants in I got green water, so my bf went to the lfs and they gave him carbon and iron. Ive had plants in aquariums before but never used any of that. They are both in liquid form, what do I do and how much? And they said be careful when I get fish not to overdose it. Unfortunately my bf is the one that spoke to the lfs so I didn't get a good relay of info.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

what brand? does the bottle have dosing directions?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

green water is a algae. why not try a black out for 3-4 days followed by some large wc to help remove it. also is the tank getting direct sun light?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah dont worry about dosing the tank, just water changes until its gone and reduce lighting time
Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
The one time I ever got green water was when I overdosed phosphates... so something to consider
Old 07-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I havent put anything in yet (cept plants), but they said to feed the plants with iron and carbon, so what are your suggestions on that? Thats what they sold us.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well most algae outbreaks are caused by an imbalance of one nutrient. Algae are very good are capitalizing on these excesses. Plants can only use the nutrients if they have enough of all of them. The macro nutrients (phosphate, carbon, nitrogen) are the main ones, but the micro ones are important as well (can't remember, but I can look it up, but it includes iron). From what I've read, co2 gives plants a distinct advantage (carbon, probably excel) over algae.

As Mg said, direct sunlight is also a known cause for algae.

I used to have this great site for plants and nutrient deficiencies, but I can't find it, so these will have to do. The one I had also had pictures ><

Freshwater Aquatic Plant Care

Problems you might have with the aquatic plants in your aquarium

I think this might have been it
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...e-diagram.html
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh and its not in direct sunlight, not even close to a window actually. The water literally turned green a few hours after I put the plants in. It is definitely getting better but like I said, I haven't added any minerals to the water. I'm not too worried about the green water because the tank is still cycling anyway so I just think it will be gone before adding fish. I am just curious about this carbon and iron they gave my bf. I've never used any type of plant food but I do keep "easy" plants.

I'm gonna check out those sites now though, thanks. And if anyone knows about carbon and iron, please inform me because my bf is not good at relaying the info from the LFS lol.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you tell us the entire names of the products? Carbon is a macro nutrient, and iron is a macro nutrient. Unless they tested for everything, I'm not entirely sure why they chose iron over the other micro nutrients. I think the mentality was that you're trying to add different nutrients to try to balance the excess. It's like a limiting reagent in chemistry, without an excess of one nutrient, you can use all of the other. In this case, we want all the nutrients to be used, so the algae doesn't have anything left.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Seachem Flourish Iron Supplement for the planted aquarium and Flourish Excel Organic Carbon for the planted aquarium.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com