New tank and Plant help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have introduced the bacteria but it won't be cycled. And only the gravel will really be the help. You are only cycled when you have enough bacteria to handle your bioload and see no spikes in ammonia. I suggest you follow the fishless cycling process and see how fast pure ammonia is converted.

Second this. I've done fast cycles before by transferring media from an existing tank but it still takes a week or 2 for it to really get established. I use a handful of media from an existing canister and then add tetra safe start as recommended for the first week without fish in the tank. Add a little bit of a ammonia and wait to see how fast it converts.

The Fasts cycle I've done was 5 days but the tank had very little stock so the bioload was very small.

I was hoping that by putting the filter in my tank I could jump start the cycling.
I'm thinking I will have to set this up as my tank then gift wrap it when all done.
We're trying to figure out how to do this as a surprise.

I solved the water clarity issue; it turns out I was looking at the backgrounds reflection in the glass. The Java Fern baby is growing leaves.

Is it wise to plant against the glass or should I keep them forward a little?
What type of rocks do you tie plants to? I'm guessing lava rocks
What can I use as a carpet for a low tech tank?

The tank already has 6 Guppies and 6 Neon Tetras.
I want more color and action in the tank.I'm thinking some more Neon Tetras.
I also need a cleaning crew something interesting to watch.

I solved the water clarity issue; it turns out I was looking at the backgrounds reflection in the glass. The Java Fern baby is growing leaves.

If this is regular Java Fern, plant it towards the back. It'll get tall with time. You can attach it to any porous rock or driftwood, and lava rock would be a good pick. There aren't many options of carpet plants for low tech, but I've always found Crypt parva to be a great low maintenance plant for the foreground. It is a slow grower and puts out a nice-looking green. It is a nice plant for those who are willing to wait. Marsilea is another option, and some use moss that is tied to stainless steel mesh.

Any rocks are fine. If u have plans for bottom feeders like corys or otto's don't use lava rock as it's very sharp and will cut your fish.

Doesn't matter if u plant next to the glass but they do tend to look better abit forward.

Dwarf sag or crypt parva is a good low tech carpet :)

Bert thanks for the info on Lava.
I've never had live plants or real rocks before.
This is a whole new game for me.
I guess I will trade quick growing for many plants.

I want to change out my gravel for black sand. I have read good things and horror stories about Black Diamond sand. My problem it's the only one available here unless I buy from the pet shop.
My problem is that my plants are rooted in the gravel.
I know the rhizomes can't be covered. How do I remove them without killing them?

As long as you are gentle removing them and keep them in water while waiting to replant they should be fine.

Thank you. I will post an updated photo when I get it done. I love this forum I learn so much.

I'd keep a layer of gravel underneath, I've found with my sand (capping soil) that if I don't punch the stems down to the soil the stems tend to rot out because the roots can't creep through the sand. I didn't stir the sand when I put it in so it might have compacted abit much. I've been poking my tweezers into it and moving it abit as much as I can but I'm still getting a few stems that just snap off and float away

I now know I have a serious addiction to fish keeping.One of my games had a quest in a swamp. I picked out plants I liked for my tank. LOL

I have a question. I was given a Pleco yesterday. Before someone says never give live pets she knew I wanted one. He's between 2 1/2 to 3 inches. His coloring is gray with off white stripes. Can someone Identify it? I looked it up and he is either a Tiger or a leopard Pleco. I have no idea how to care for them.

I have a question. I was given a Pleco yesterday. Before someone says never give live pets she knew I wanted one. He's between 2 1/2 to 3 inches. His coloring is gray with off white stripes. Can someone Identify it? I looked it up and he is either a Tiger or a leopard Pleco. I have no idea how to care for them.

A pleco will out grow your tank pretty quick so be prepared to give him up or upgrade in the near future [emoji106] they get up to 45cm

I will post picture as soon as my daughter can do it. He hides upside down in the cave.
Bert a larger tank is already on my list. Not all plecos get that big.

I have identified what type of Pleco Oscar is he is a leopard. Taking a picture of him is nearly impossible he comes out only when it's dark. The rest of the time he is in his cave upside down. What type of plants are good for him to hide in?
I now remember having one when my daughter was little. She named it Obcar for "My Bologna has a first name it's Oscar" The Oscar Meyer commercial. I had it for years in a 10 gallon and it never grew. It didn't survive the move to Florida.

You've got the rift idea with the caves, pleco's arnt to fussed with plants and can actually be damaging to plants sometimes, your best bet would be anubias and Java fern I'd say.

Glad to hear a bigger tank is in the plans ;) leopards can get to 50cm! That's a big fish!

Remember they love veggies too so u could feed him some zucchini or something once a week if u wanted too :D I've got an albino sailfin in my Oscar tank and he loves a good veggie haha

Because he was a surprise I can't get algae food for another week. I raised the temp in the tank and leaving lights a little longer to make the algae grow. Tonight Oscar is getting zucchini.

Back
Top Bottom