Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

new tank journal

hello everyone. here is a 10 gallon tank i recently scaped. figured I would start a journal on here so I and anyone who would like to watch the progress can do so.

standard 10 gallon tank with the top rim removed
diy co2 system
organic potting soil
black diamond sand blasting material
10-20gallon internal filter(dont remember the brand)
finnex planted + 24/7 light

plants
cyrptocoryne wendtii green
creeping jenny
java fern
utricularia graminifolia

fish
1 powder blue dwarf gourami

rescaped this tank around a week ago. im trying to decide if I want to put some anubias nana petite on the driftwood. let me know what you guys think.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Personally, I'd hold off on attaching anything to the wood. Maybe moss, but you're going to have lots of growth on the crypt and the plants in front of the driftwood. I like being able to actually see some wood in scapes. Looking nice so far. Great to see that you didn't stick the wood right dead in the center, too!

Old 06-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thank you for your input. thats what i was thinking. the creeping jenny is going to grow fast and will bush up alot in front of the wood covering it some.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looking good Billy Ray!
I'm interested in seeing your diy CO2 setup.
Did you cover the entire bottom with an equal depth of soil before capping it?
Old 06-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

thank you tbox. i dont have any pictures of the co2 system but i will take some in just a bit and post them. its a very simple system. hawaiian punch jug, hole drilled in top and air hose superglued into it. a check valve in the line then on to a glass diffuser. i have the diffuser shoved under the filter so 1. you cant see it and 2. so the co2 gets diffused into the water really really well. soon i will be switching out all my co2 systems to a pressurized system. its a bit time consuming to do a yeast/sugar mix for 6 tanks every week . for the soil question i covered the whole bottom with 1" of soil except the back left corner where the crypts are. i did about a 1 1/2" slope there since i wanted that area raised a bit and because cyrpts are such heavy root feeders.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

so i forgot to post the pics of my diy co2 system here they are.

the bottle to a check valve

then on to a glass diffuser.(sorry its kind of a pain to get the diffuser out from under the pump so no pic.)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

here is a tank update. 9 days after original post.

i had to trim and replant some of the creeping jenny. it had grown probably 4 inches since i planted. the utricularia graminifolia has settled in and is now sending out runners. this is one slow growing plant even with co2. im thinking of pulling some of it out of my 75g and putting it in the 10g to get more little spots growing.

i had a bit of hair algae growing. it was because i forgot to plug the lights into the timer i had so they were staying on for something like 14 hours a day. the timer is set for 5 on, 4 off, 5 on.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Grrrr. Utricularia is one of only two plants to ever defeat my attempts to grow it. I hate that stuff!
Old 06-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWGulo View Post
Grrrr. Utricularia is one of only two plants to ever defeat my attempts to grow it. I hate that stuff!

lol sorry to hear it didnt go well for you. it has grown pretty easy for me so far. i have it in a 75g tank without co2 and it has spread a good bit but has taken a good bit of time to do so. also it only sticks out make 1/4 to 1/2 inches above the substrate. i now have it in this 10g tank with co2 and it has grown twice as fast and larger. some of the leaves are standing around 3/4 to 1 inch above the substrate.

another update on the tank. this is another 9 days after my last post. i pulled more utri out of the 75g and put it in this 10g to get it spreading more. the creeping jenny once again needed a trimming and replanting.... anyone want some creeping jenny ? the crypts are starting to put on leaves and hopefully will start to fill in the back left corner more.

i found some type of what i think is moss growing on a log in my backyard pond and this past week also found it growing on the driftwood in this tank. i never could figure out what it was but someone on here said it looked like some type of fissidens moss. i will leave it be for now and see how it ends up looking in this tank.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

That moss does look like a species of Fissidens. Iíve had it growing on DW, pulled the DW out and left it in my fish cabinet for a few months. When I added the DW back to the tank, I saw sprigs of Fissidens growing despite being dried out.

Tags
journal, new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com