New tank problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaDrew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am setting up a new 36 gallon freshwater tank and am having some problems. I started it wtih some plants and and three cherry barbs. I have two 55 watt CF lights running.
The tank recently finished cycling, with zero ammonia and Nitrites, but I am also seeing zero Nitrates! Is this because the plants and algae are using it all?
I am also having an algae problem with long strings of algae growing on my plants like hair. It is not the darker, branching type. It looks more like fine nylon fibers.
How would you experts recommend I get this tank in line? I was thinking of stocking up with some more fish and cutting down on the light. Is this the right track?
Thanks for a any help.

DSCF6378.JPG

DSCF6377.JPG

DSCF6364.JPG

That is a lot of light to have over the tank with no fertilizer and no co2 injection...

Also, what color temp are the bulbs? You want 6500K-10000K color temp bulbs for the plants.

How long are you lighting the tank?

No nitrates is not good... I suspect your plants are sucking it all up because they have so much light to use. A nutrient imbalance with no co2 can cause major algae problems. I suspect with the amount of light you could be bottoming out on P as well.

My suggestion: Cut the light in half, or upgrade to ferts and co2. Also only leave the lights on for 8-9 hrs a day.

With that much algae, you may consider doing a black out, and manually remove as much as you can as well. The plant leaves are showing signs of nutrient deficiency as well... going to be tough to bring them all back. Not impossible, but tough.

i agree with fort384. that lighting without ferts or co2 is the source of your algae problem. Your nitrates dont exist because the plants growth is being put on steroids with the lighting and are sucking up every nutrient in the tank. However the algae is also outcompeting the plants for the nutrients and is also on hyperdrive growth from the lighting. Cut back on the time ur lights are on (u might do a blackout as previously mentioned to kill the algae), get some ferts and co2 and ur good to go.

Thanks guys
Can you tell what type of algae this is from the pics? Do you have any recommendations on what will eat it?
I will try the blackout and I'm looking into CO2.

Go for Epalzeorhynchus siamensis, they will readily eat hair algae.

Sometimes they will be labeled as Flying Foxes, Chinese Algae Eater, or Siamese Algae Eater. As usual many LFS' will mis-label them, so be sure you are getting the correct fish, which is the SAE.

You may also consider Cherry Barbs as the SAE can torment slower moving fish.

It is hair algae, and is a reflection of high light and inadequate fert balance.

This is a very high light tank, you are probably going to need to introduce CO2 and fertilization in some form...

I blacked out the tank for a few days, which got rid of most of the algae. I've since put in some DIY CO2 with a makeshift powerhead reactor and also added 6 more cherry barbs and a turquoise gourami.
The plants are growing and I'm seeing some bubbles streaming off one of them. My nitrates still are very low so I am trying to feed the fish more often. Things are looking much better, thanks for the advice.

did you read the directions on your nitrate test kit and follow them? if you don't shake the bottle and test tube for the right amount of time it will tell you that you have 0 nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom