New tank - what plants to pick?! :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmacd86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!

I am a new member with a 10 gal tank which just contains gravel right now and has been filtering water since last night.

I am looking at adding two goldfish I have as well as others. What plants would be good to use to provide for a healthy aquarium?

Also, in regard to the plants and the goldfish, what other fish could I add together with goldfish? I heard goldfish should be kept with its kind due to its ammonia excretion and should not be mixed with tropical fish for that reason as well as temperature.

Thanks for all the help!

Goldfish like to eat plants, but not all plants. I assume you have a standard hood with standard lights? Plants that require high lighting will not survive w/standard lighting.

Go for some low-light plants such as java fern, and valasineria or saggitaria species, these won't be eaten by goldies.

I'm not really good w/what would be compatible, i keep goldies in their own tank.

I have a pretty standard fish tank (the 10 gal one that Wal-Mart sells) so I imagine it's just standard lighting.

I will do some more research on plants and hope to be able to find a good solution for my fish!

Thank you!

Goldfish eat most plants, so it is them, or the plants IMO

I have a 45 gallon tank full of plants with 4 gold fish, they dont eat them all! Mostly just tender feathery type plants, IME.

Hey corvuscorax,

I may just swing by the local Petsmart tonight to look at some of the plants you suggested (if available). After all, it's worth an experiment to see how it works. :D

Thanks for the help to all!

Hey there--
Corvuscorax's recommendation on Java Fern is great. It is a really great plant that does well under low light. Also, anubias are great as well. Either of these, I would recommend because, not only are they hardy, good with low light, but also they have larger leaves when they grow and would be harder for goldfish to nip/eat.
However, just know that CO2 fertilization is just an essential component of a good planted tank. That and good lighting. Just keep that in mind. Goldfish certainly don't need live plants. They are hardy.
Good luck!
Bondstreet

Awesome, Bondstreet! I was late for Petsmart last night but will probably be over there after work today looking at what they have. :D

Well, I added three java ferns tonight that are anchored in about 1 1/4" of gravel. From what I have heard java fern adapts quickly and easily and eventually spreads through the tank as well. We'll see how the goldfish like 'em. :eek:

Well, I added three java ferns tonight that are anchored in about 1 1/4" of gravel.

OK, glad you bought them, but thats not how to place them in a tank. They won't tolerate Planting, anything under the gravel will rot. They need to attach to something, rock or driftwood. Here's how you do it: Get some dark color cotton thread, take the plant and wrap the thread around the base of the plant (the rhizome, the tough stem part) and wrap it around the rock or driftwood. Not too tight or loose. Try to make it look natural. In time, the plant will put out root-looking things that will grab onto the rock or wood, and hold itself in place, and the string will rot away.

Back
Top Bottom