New tank with live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CloudStrife

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got a 45 gallon tank and I want to put some live plants in there with my driftwood. My cycle isn't done yet but I'm looking to get the lighting first.

I really want Glasso as my foreground plant but all my research has said for 4-6 watts for gallon, and I went out and got this at petsmart::

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/t5-dual-lamp-fixture.htm

After I got that, I noticed that it only has a combined 42 watts and my tank is a 45 gal. So I'm pretty sure I screwed up for the plants I want.

Should I get a new fixture? And where could I find one? Or should I keep it and replace the bulbs with more watts if I find something online?

(sorry for long post)

CloudStrife said:
Just got a 45 gallon tank and I want to put some live plants in there with my driftwood. My cycle isn't done yet but I'm looking to get the lighting first.

I really want Glasso as my foreground plant but all my research has said for 4-6 watts for gallon, and I went out and got this at petsmart::

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/t5-dual-lamp-fixture.htm

After I got that, I noticed that it only has a combined 42 watts and my tank is a 45 gal. So I'm pretty sure I screwed up for the plants I want.

Should I get a new fixture? And where could I find one? Or should I keep it and replace the bulbs with more watts if I find something online?

(sorry for long post)

For sure need a new fixture. Your looking for a t5 high output fixture with at least four 54 watt bulbs for that kind of wattage but pressurized co2 and a lot of plants will be a must for a tank with that much light.

To get carpeting growth in a reasonable amount of time, you WILL need high light and CO2 supplementation. If you don't give it such, than you will either A) grow algae or B) your glosso will grow up rather than out.

Is there a website I could buy a fixture to fit my tank? Or do I need to some how build my own? Im not very good building things either lol

To answer your questions: yes.

You an build a fixture, and AH Supply makes the best DIY setups. On the other hand, you can buy a fixture if you want. FishNeedIt sells some cheap but quality fixtures.

As I said, you will need CO2 to get the kind of quality results you are talking about.

Will CO2 hurt my fish at all with too much of it? And how much light do you think I need? 90-100 watts?

First off, complete disregard anything that refers to watts per gallon. It is an outdated rule that has been so for years, but people refuse to adapt and keep using it.

It depends on if you're going to get a decent CO2 system. You can harm your fish with too much CO2 , but that will only happen if you are being irresponsible with it or aren't being careful. Under normal circumstances it poses very little threat to your fish.

Wow that's good to know, so what system should I use for determining watts?

No watts!

Hoppy's guide from plantedtank.net is about the best resource regarding light levels.

img_1782825_0_94f9956240823cbeee96b6c2139a2980.jpg

Well that's pretty useful. I have been trying to figure out what to do with my lighting for a while now, but that makes it all clear. Now I know what I'm going to do! :thanks:

If you don't mind my asking, why glosso? It's not a particularly user friendly plant (weedy, hard to control sometimes, etc).

I just love the look that it has, and it seems pretty rare. I would like something that grows kinda like moss but with more leaves rather then carpet if that makes sense haha.

Back
Top Bottom