New to Co2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm finally getting my co2 tank today and I already have a regulator. I spent 70 on my Azoo regulator and got the co2 tank for 43 after shipping and taxes. I think I did alright.

Now my co2 tank will be delivered today and me being so excited and ready to get started. I want to get it in there asap. I have a bubble counter, I plan on dispersing the co2 diy through a chopstick until I can buy one. Do I need anything else? A drop checker?

You'll wish to get an idea of how much co2 is in the tank. Either a drop checker, or there is a graph, using ph and kh will tell how much co2 is in the tank.

Drop checker requires a solution, and low range ph testing fluid.
Graph requires you can test for ph and kh (gh?) in the tank.

Hi congratulations! Do you have a timer, and a check valve? They're not expensive and totally worth it. I'm still flying high from getting my first pressurized system last week. By far the best investment I've made. SOOOO incredibly easy, I can't believe it. I'm sharing your enthusiasm. Keep us posted.

Hi congratulations! Do you have a timer, and a check valve? They're not expensive and totally worth it. I'm still flying high from getting my first pressurized system last week. By far the best investment I've made. SOOOO incredibly easy, I can't believe it. I'm sharing your enthusiasm. Keep us posted.

Thanks! Yes I do have a timer and I plan to plug it into the same as my light until I can find a reason why not.
I do have a check valve, the only thing I'm worried is that it's plastic and I heard it will deteriorate over time but honestly I'm too excited to wait while a stainless steel one ships in. I do plan to order.

Is a drop checker completely necessary?

And if anyone has any tips as far as what to start off on or tips on checking for leaks, things like that? Thanks in advance.

Spray bottle with water. Spray on the components and look for bubbles. Add a drop of dish soap will make bubbles easier to spot, but air pushing through water may be enough for you to detect.

Also, depending on the bubble counter, some bubble counters have build in check valves.

I had a plastic check valve; it was integrated with a plastic bubble counter. The check valve was fine but the bubble counter was not very durable.
I would wait until you get the brass check valves in. I've used the plastic cheapo ones and I see fluid seep past them. Last thing you want is a ruined regulator.
Drop checker is a must!!! Or some method for measuring the CO2. The effects of a particular bubble per second rate may differ from tank to tank. Worse case: dead fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
I had a plastic check valve; it was integrated with a plastic bubble counter. The check valve was fine but the bubble counter was not very durable.
I would wait until you get the brass check valves in. I've used the plastic cheapo ones and I see fluid seep past them. Last thing you want is a ruined regulator.
Drop checker is a must!!! Or some method for measuring the CO2. The effects of a particular bubble per second rate may differ from tank to tank. Worse case: dead fish.

I got the drop checker in, I got a cheap one off of eBay because I heard they all perform the same way so to not go out and double my purchase. I need 4dkh water, correct?

I got the drop checker in, I got a cheap one off of eBay because I heard they all perform the same way so to not go out and double my purchase. I need 4dkh water, correct?

Yep, you need that solution. You can order it online or make it yourself (cumbersome, you will end up with gallons).

Back
Top Bottom