New to Co2 systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently working on a 55 gallon tank project and it will be my first time ever working with Co2 systems. I recently purchased a kit that I found on Dr.Foster and Smith and bought the tank from an online vender.
(link for the kit) Freshwater Planted Aquarium Plant Care: Drs. Foster & Smith Semi-Automatic CO2 System

My main concern is this, my tap water is really hard with a PH level of 8.2. I plan on keeping the tank at around 6.5 PH, that being said, what is the best way to go about water changes? I am worried by the fact that if I use such hard tap water, it will cause sudden fluctuations in the tanks PH and hurt the fish.

Also, I have been trying to research how long and when to have the CO2 tank running and I am reading a mixture of things. Some people leave it on 24/7,others only run it when the light is off and some have it set to run only to keep the PH level consistent. What is the best method to keep the plants growing actively and the fish happy with my particular kit?

I guess I should also mention that I have a demanding job and I am gone 3 days out of the week.

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
:thanks:

By adding CO2 to the water your not exactly changing the chemistry of water and therefore your inhabitants should be fine. A method of using RO water, for example, has a lower pH so this type method would be more fluctuation impact on fish. From my experience, as long as the chemical properties haven't been changed, your fluctuations in pH shouldn't affect the fish. With your particular co2 system, I would connect to a time and set it to go on/off when lights go on/off. I keep mine connected to a pH monitor s so I can keep mine on all the time. Plants consume co2 when lights are on. Leaving on all the time with no means of controlling the 'off' function, could result in a gassed out tank - too much co2 can choke off oxygen levels for fish.

The best way in my experience is to have your Co2 system on a timer with your lights. Co2 when the lights are off doesn't do much for the plants. Unless you have a controller for your Co2 system, which would allow you to set a Ph level and it will turn on and off when it is needed.

Back
Top Bottom