New to CO2, video, is this my fish gasping for air?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just planted my tank a week ago, started with pressurized CO2. At the same time, I switched to a spray bar, as half of my tank will also have floating plants. This changed the circulation from the single outlet nozzle.

I've noticed that just my guppies like to hang out, almost exclusively, near the top of the water now, right above where the CO2 bubbles hit the surface. Is this gasping for air? Is this them eating/playing in the bubbles (seems like a lot of bubbles in the tank, too?)? Or just playing in the light current?

The Danios swim all around. The guppies occasionally swim all around, including the bottom, especially if there is food down there.

Video Link:
Guppies, is this gasping for air? - YouTube

Tank:
Tank has been set up for almost 5 months
36G Community, Penn Plax Cascade 700 Filter
Circulation Pump at the bottom
Guppies, Zebra Danios, African Dwarf Frogs, Snails, Bristlenose Pleco, Corys
Ammonia & Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 30
Phosphate = 3
CO2 = Green drop checker using 4dKH
GH = 4
KH = 9
pH = 7.2

Why are you even dosing CO2? There are what, 3 plants in the tank? Did they start showing signs of deterioration before dosing? All of those fish look fine, they're having no problems. Fish will be literally gasping at the surface if there is too much CO2, as in almost stationary with their mouths touching the surface, like a carp or a mullet feeding at the surface.

Why are you even dosing CO2? There are what, 3 plants in the tank? Did they start showing signs of deterioration before dosing? All of those fish look fine, they're having no problems. Fish will be literally gasping at the surface if there is too much CO2, as in almost stationary with their mouths touching the surface, like a carp or a mullet feeding at the surface.

Any plant can benefit from the addition of CO2. And to keep this post on track, I will refrain from being offended at your insult, and read it as a question. I have 7 different species of plants, including 8 stems of each stem plant and 9 pots of the ground cover.

Getting back to the post's topic, I appreciate your input on the fish's health, though.

I sincerely apologise. I didn't mean to offend. It's not really clear from the video how many plants there are. Why did you decide to start dosing CO2?

I sincerely apologise. I didn't mean to offend. It's not really clear from the video how many plants there are. Why did you decide to start dosing CO2?

That's ok. I have high light (some would say high-medium, others would say very high). Dual bulb T5HO. High light = need CO2 so you stay in balance.

Haha, I'd have said very high. Reminds me of my old marine tank! Thought you might have been having algae trouble with that much light. Tank looks good though. And if your fish aren't suffering then dose it up.

How are your PH and KH levels?

Haha, I'd have said very high. Reminds me of my old marine tank! Thought you might have been having algae trouble with that much light. Tank looks good though. And if your fish aren't suffering then dose it up.

How are your PH and KH levels?

Thanks! PH is 7, KH is 9

They are not breaking the water surface so no they are not gasping for air.

Back
Top Bottom