new to live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbo V6 Camaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
well got the tank set up, my girlfreind got live plants our Firts night!!

I had them all in the 10 gallon tank as it was setup first. next day transferred them over to the 75 gallon

now i have a few the jsut grow tall and the have spit off and are growing fast

i have one with large tears droped shaped leaves and its not looking so hot.

I have on that looks like a mini oak tree without bark? it leaves are turning black on the ends.

I put fertilizer tabs in the sand around all the plants

I have 48inch 18000k bulb i got at pet-smart for lighting.

I know it was planted to early and all that, I'm just looking for how to fix it :confused:

For one thing plants don't react well to a 18000k bulb (I wouldn't think). They need 6500-6700K bulbs, probably 10000K at the most.

Can you take pics of your plants? It is a bit easier to ID them with pictures. :)

Also, I wonder if your lighting isn't enough for the plants you have. You have the nutrients available, the next issue to address is the lighting. You have very low lighting with just one bulb. If you could add atleast another 1 bulb fixture, that would give you a total of 80 watts (40 each) and that would be alot better for the plants. Depending on the plants you have, you may need more light than that.

I agree with Aquarium1 above on the bulb temperature/k-rating, but I think that if you had another 40 watt bulb, the temperature wouldn't matter as much. If you add another bulb, I would stick with one in the range of about 6500 to 10000K. Gives the plants more usable light.

Last edited:
not great photo but hopfully they will let you see what your looking for

doing well:

grown 3-4 inches !!!
798569367_8JWqu-X2.jpg

798570543_HjpM5-X3.jpg

798569765_B54uH-X2.jpg

798570622_azGLk-X3.jpg

one in the top left
798570309_RmEag-X3.jpg

doing okay-ish:
798569877_RN747-X2.jpg

not so well
798569457_VnRvZ-X2.jpg

798569535_yWsWo-X2.jpg

pics
1+2 look like anacharis
3 ludwigia (inclinata?)
4 hygrophilia (corymbosa?)
5 ?
6 in the bottom left hand corner bacopa monerei (also known as moneywort)
7,8, looks like wisteria to me
9 sword (maybe a melon sword)
and the very last pic is a fern of some sort. but it's not aquatic. junk it.

they may not be all right. but i'm close

The first 2 pics are Anacharis....glad to see its doing well. Its usually pretty hardy. The 3rd pic is definitely a type of Ludwigia. It looks to me like Ludwigia arcuata x repens which is a cross between Ludwigia arcuata and Ludwigia repens. :) Its a really nice looking plant. I'm not sure about the 4th and 5th pics. The 6th looks like Mondo Grass which isn't an aquatic plant (although pet stores sell it as aquatic). It may last a little while but it will eventually die. The 7th and 8th pics look like Wisteria or Hygrophila difformis. I'm not certain though. The 9th pic is some type of Sword...possibly an Amazon sword. And the last pic might be Bolbitis or a non-aquatic plant. I'm not sure though. I'm leaning towards non-aquatic.

All of those plants will need more light. Some might be doing ok now, but it won't last. :( If you can add another 40 watt bulb I think most of them will improve. Some, like the Ludwigia and the Sword might need more than that, but try adding another bulb and see how they do.

You have a nice variety there! If you get them growing better, you will definitely have a nice planted tank. :)

edit: Ha! I took too long to post....timwag beat me. :) The 4th could be a type of Hygrophila....and the sword could definitely be a melon instead of an amazon.

Last edited:
The first plant is anacharis and is a good beginner plant. Just be careful if you choose to use Excel, as it tends to cause this plant to melt.

The stem plant with the red leaves might be Rotala rotundifolia (often mislabeled Rotala indica). It's a slightly more light demanding plant, but also very easy to grow.

The grass-like plant with the white stripes is probably not a true aquatic. It may do well short term, but will eventually begin to rot away as bog plants can not survive indefinitely submerged.

The broad leaf plant with the browning in the middle of the leaf, is probably a sword of some sort. These tend to be both more light and nutrient demanding plants.

The last plant looks to be a non aquatic fern, which like the grass plant probably won't do well long term.

I'm not sure on the rest of the plants.

Back
Top Bottom