new to live plants could use some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hylywytt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I just got some water westeria and 4 moss balls for my 29 gallon tank and since I have had them I noticed the bottom of the westeria look like they are dieing. And I was thinking I have LED lights in my hood do I need a different lights source for them or what ...and I don't really know how to care for them so any help would be greatly appreciated

It a 29 gallon and it the led's that came with my kit from petsmart and ill have pic up a little later

They arent great pic but they dont look so bad today and im coming out of a nitirte spike I think its just cycleing my tank is only 3 months old

Your Plant Tank

Ok so I just got some water westeria and 4 moss balls for my 29 gallon tank and since I have had them I noticed the bottom of the westeria look like they are dieing. And I was thinking I have LED lights in my hood do I need a different lights source for them or what ...and I don't really know how to care for them so any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello hyl...

I found that my Water wisteria grew much better when I floated it close to the light source, then when I planted it. If you plant it, the bottom leaves get too much shade and die off. So, you have a plant that's all stem. I attached the plant to a piece of floating driftwood with some sewing thread of the same color as the plant and it grew much better.

Moss balls take little or no maintenance and aren't demanding about light. The Wisteria will do better in stronger light.

If you can get a fixture that will hold two bulbs, then get a couple of 6500K, T8 bulbs about 17 watts apiece, just basic lighting is all you need. LED lighting is fine, but a bit pricey and not needed unless you keep plants that require stronger lighting.

Ferts are helpful too. I like to dose something easy, like liquids. Tetra, API, Nutrafin, Earth Juice and Standard Hydroponics have some good products that aren't very costly. I dose a little every couple of days and when I do my weekly water change.

B

I bought a 24" t5ho 2x28w 1-10,000k and 1-frashwater colormax type bulb it is a current USA nova extreme or something like that from petsolutions.com for 50 bucks and I love it could b an option for ya

You have two things going on.

First off, the LEDs that came with your hood are probably pretty low light. This depends on the hood obviously, but the most common type is Marineland's single brights, or a similar product, which will be way too little light for a 29g.

Second, your wisteria is in emersed form. It will lose all of the oval shaped leaves in the coming weeks and be replaced by the more traditional wisteria leaf. You can kind of see the little buds where this is already happening on your lower nodes.

Back
Top Bottom