New to live plants...please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've researched the bleach dip awhile back when I started wanting to learn everything I could about planted tanks. My understanding is you do a 5% dose of bleach to the amount of water your using. Stir it up and have another bowl/ container of fresh water. Dip the plant in the bleach dip bowl/container, (not the roots or the base of the plant) just the leaves. Move the plant around alittle and let it sit for 30 sec's (depending on the type of plant) then dip it, move it around in the fresh water. Put it back in the tank. If the algae turns red then it worked and it will just fall off or the fish will then eat it off. Some plants might need another dip or longer.

It kills stuff we don't want in the tank that H2O2 dose not kill.

If I use bleach I make up a separate container with a heavy heavy dose of safe/prime and give them a bath to ensure all the Cl is taken care of after the treatment.
Do you dip roots and all? And what about Java moss? I just got 2 new plants, another anubias and I think a crypt- it was free.

That is helpful. Thank you. Do you put the roots in the h2o2 solution?

Yes roots and all. Moss too. Safe and Prime are a water condition product Seachem makes. It will take care of any excess Cl left from the bleach.

That will depend heavily on amount and type of plants .
To make the decision look into:
1. "One stop shop" liquid like Flourish or API greanleaf. we
2. Flourish Excel /metricide14 as source of available carbon.
3. Root tabs as required (we're already mentioned above)
4 . Dry fertilizer packs

Just to add. Never ever add Silver Dollar fish in your planted tank. They will eat your plants in no time. Avoid large cichlids as well. They have habit to nip and destroy plants.

Back
Top Bottom