New to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just got into planted tanks. I have a 55 gallon that is cycled and everything that I just changed to sand and real plants a week ago. Right now there are two female bettas in the tank. There's a picture in my bettas album. I was wondering, could anyone give me some general advice on plants? I have the lights on from around 7:30 to 10 every day but that's about the only thing im doing for them. My amazon swords (I have three) are turning kinda yellowish brown in some of the leaves. The leaves look kind of dead. Thanks in advance for any advice :3

So I just got into planted tanks. I have a 55 gallon that is cycled and everything that I just changed to sand and real plants a week ago. Right now there are two female bettas in the tank. There's a picture in my bettas album. I was wondering, could anyone give me some general advice on plants? I have the lights on from around 7:30 to 10 every day but that's about the only thing im doing for them. My amazon swords (I have three) are turning kinda yellowish brown in some of the leaves. The leaves look kind of dead. Thanks in advance for any advice :3

Okay first off, what light fixture do to have? Your lights should be on anywhere from 6 hours minimum and 12 max.

Your amazon swords are yellowing cause your light aren't on long enough a day (and might not be suffient enough) plus amazon swords need root tabs to thrive!

I'm no expert with planted tanks but I know the basics. Please feel free to ask more questions if you have them, ill be happy to help :)

when you said you have sand, what kind of sand is it? sand is generally inert and have no nutrient for the plants. it's might be another reason why you amazon sword's dying. the photoperiod for your tank is too short. the minimum suggestion is 6hrs and depending on the lights you have you can shorten or lengthen the time.

Your photoperiod is not too short. That is what 14-1/2 hours? Most all planted tanks need a 6-8 hour photoperiod. Generally only tanks with very low lighting need a little longer photoperiod.

Yellowing swords is a nutrient deficiency. They are nutrient hogs and require a lot of phosphate and iron via the roots so you have to get some root tabs and be consistant on using them as the directions indicate. It won't help the new growth but it will ensure new growth is green and healthy.

What is your lighting and substrate currently? That will determine what type of plants you can add to your tank.

well, the OP needs to clarify whether he meant 7-10AM or 7AM to 10PM. i thought he meant 7am to 10am or 7pm to 10pm

My lights are on 7:30 am to 10 pm. Im not sure exactly what lights they are I'll have to check :p but I don't think they aren't bright enough... Where can I get what I need for the roots? I'm using pool filter sand. Could I possibly mix some other substrate in with it that would help? I don't really want to redo the tank tho... Thanks for all the replies :)

if you want a planted tank, then it's probably easier to start all over by first getting the correct substrate. in your current situation and to solve the amazon sword issue, go to the fish store and look for root tabs. Seachem makes quality root tabs and you simple stick these tabs underneath the amazon sword.

My lights are on 7:30 am to 10 pm. Im not sure exactly what lights they are I'll have to check :p but I don't think they aren't bright enough... Where can I get what I need for the roots? I'm using pool filter sand. Could I possibly mix some other substrate in with it that would help? I don't really want to redo the tank tho... Thanks for all the replies :)

Don't try mixing anything into your substrate. Just get some root tabs and add them as directed around the Sword plants.

I would tear it down and build it anew. You will not get the sweet lush growth from root tabs that you could get with a proper substrate. If you want to take a shortcut there will always be negative consequences. It will only take 3 hours to redo. Do it right! ?

I think I'm gonna get root tabs... I don't want to buy new substrate and I already have fish in there to begin with. I know I could redo the tank but I really don't want to :p as long as the plants would be ok and the fish would be healthy I'm good with root tabs.

Most substrates are fine as long as you provide root feeding plants (Swords, crypts, and bulbs) with root tabs. Even in my dirted tank with an Eco Complete cap I stil need to use root tabs on the above plants as they just cannot get all the nutrients they need without them. All stem plants need ferts from the water column and only need substrate as a holding medium for them. So again it really doesn't matter what the substrate is. There are a small handful of plants that prefer certain types of substrates but they aren't the type of plants you'd be getting with your set up so you are fine as long as you don't have large grained gravel for a substrate. You don't need to change what doesn't need fixing.

Back
Top Bottom